measures of cube size? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

are there any measures of the cube size?

are there any limits on the size of a cube or the size of a dimension?

how can estimate the physical file size of a cube?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew
    BI, Data Mining, Analytical CRM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand your first two questions perfectly, but let me try to answer it.

The cube size can be measured in bytes, kilobytes, etc. There are no limits on cube size or dimension size in Analysis Services 2008 by default. However an attribute hierarchy can contain "only" 2^31-1 members, and a dimension can have 2^31-1 attributes.
    If you would like to know what kind of limits exist, please refer to the Maximum Capacity Specifications of SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services.

Analysis Services have a very good data compression rate. You can estimate the physical size of the cube as 25-35% of the original data it processes.

Kind regards,
    Zoli

-- Zoltán Horváth
    -- MCITP SQL Server Business Intelligence Developer 2005, 2008
    -- MCITP Database Developer 2008, Database Administrator 2008
    -- Please mark posts as answered or helpful where appropriate.
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• We have a dimension with 5 million members with size of 4 Gb (it is rather wide with several hundreds of attributes).We can full process it in 10-15 minutes

I've seen people writing about dimensions with number of members going to hundreds of millions, though the air seems to be thin there (they're writing about different problems with these dimensions. On the other hand, we're not writing on MSDN forums about how happy and problem-free with our cubes we are, right? :) )

Our largest cube is 100+ Gb large. We're full processing it in 2,5 hours (a lot of aggregations + some limitations from the relational side) once a week. The measure groups of the cube are of course partitioned and incrementally processed daily.

how can estimate the physical file size of a cube?

In Windows Explorer. Go to the Data directory ...MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data

and then you have a nice directory structure YourDatabases\CubesOfTheDatabase\MeasureGroupsOfTheCube\PartitionsOfTheMeasureGroup

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand your first two questions perfectly, but let me try to answer it.

The cube size can be measured in bytes, kilobytes, etc. There are no limits on cube size or dimension size in Analysis Services 2008 by default. However an attribute hierarchy can contain "only" 2^31-1 members, and a dimension can have 2^31-1 attributes.
    If you would like to know what kind of limits exist, please refer to the Maximum Capacity Specifications of SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services.

Analysis Services have a very good data compression rate. You can estimate the physical size of the cube as 25-35% of the original data it processes.

Kind regards,
    Zoli

-- Zoltán Horváth
    -- MCITP SQL Server Business Intelligence Developer 2005, 2008
    -- MCITP Database Developer 2008, Database Administrator 2008
    -- Please mark posts as answered or helpful where appropriate.
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:07 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Yahoo has a cube of at least 12TB:

http://dennyglee.com/2011/05/24/are-you-an-analysis-services-rock-star-yahoo-is-looking-for-you/

SSAS is fairly capable of scaling I'd say :)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:24 PM