none
Open XML SDK 2.5 Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at the v2 and v2.5 and I noticed the file sizes are different by a significant amount.

Here's my situation. I have a new machine with win7(reinstalled so for cleanliness) :-)

My questions:

1. Should I install v2 first?

2. Why is v2(106+MB) 80MB+ bigger than v25(25MB)? Should I worry about this?

V2

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi ResidentX10

You should install version 2.5. No need to worry about or install the earlier version. Both versions produce files that can be opened in all versions of Office (back to 2000, as long as the Compatibility Pack is installed). Version 2.5 has classes that support Office 2013 and also fixes some issues present in version 2.0.

The two different downloads are for two different things: the top one is the Productivity Tools, the second is the actual SDK.

The SDK is simply a .NET library (DLL). The tools are a full-fledged .NET Windows Form, which is why the file size is so much larger.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Monday, April 22, 2013 3:54 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:13 AM
  • I have no idea why Download for the tools of the one version is smaller than the other. But I've downloaded and used both sets; they have the same capabilities and they work.

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Monday, April 22, 2013 5:58 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:13 PM

All replies

• v25

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10

You should install version 2.5. No need to worry about or install the earlier version. Both versions produce files that can be opened in all versions of Office (back to 2000, as long as the Compatibility Pack is installed). Version 2.5 has classes that support Office 2013 and also fixes some issues present in version 2.0.

The two different downloads are for two different things: the top one is the Productivity Tools, the second is the actual SDK.

The SDK is simply a .NET library (DLL). The tools are a full-fledged .NET Windows Form, which is why the file size is so much larger.

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Monday, April 22, 2013 3:54 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Let me get clarification on the tools.

The v2 of the is 106+ MB. The v25 is only 25 MB. Should the newer version(v25) be the same size or bigger?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:56 PM
  • I have no idea why Download for the tools of the one version is smaller than the other. But I've downloaded and used both sets; they have the same capabilities and they work.

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Monday, April 22, 2013 5:58 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Okay...Thanks :-)
    Monday, April 22, 2013 5:58 PM