none
Auto forward based on subject RRS feed

• Question

• Doing a search for an answer indicated this would be the best forum to ask this question. If its not please redirect.

We have mail coming into a shared e-mail account. We need to forward e-mail that has a specific string in the Subject to two distribution lists. We have successfully setup a rule on the client side to do this, but since this is a shared mailbox that no one actually logs into, we were hoping its possible to do on the server side.

So my question is whether its possible to set a rule or whatever on the server so that any e-mail coming into the specified account is forwarded to these DLs. If it is possible, can I get instructions on how.

As an aside to this, if we do have to do this on the local cllent, would we have to add this rule to each individual who would check this mail box? And would the rule fire only when the mailbox is opened?

Hope this helps, Scott<> P.S. Please post a response to let us know whether our answer helped or not. Microsoft Access MVP 2009 Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA Technical Editor for: Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports and Queries
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:29 PM

All replies

• I set up a rule here just as you described (for testing), and it still works when Outlook is not running.  I know some rules don't work without Outlook running, but the one I have here (check for words in the subject and forward matching messages to a contact) does.
    Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
    www.owa-pda.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:50 PM
  • As Lee said some rules apply regardless of Outlook, whereas some require Outlook to be running. Exactly which rules are available would depend on which version of Exchange you are running.

To configure rules that will work server side you can for instance log into Outlook Web Access and configure a rule. As far as I can tell I can set up a rule doing what you describe through my OWA. I'm running Exchange 2010 SP1.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:03 PM
  • I set up a rule here just as you described (for testing), and it still works when Outlook is not running.  I know some rules don't work without Outlook running, but the one I have here (check for words in the subject and forward matching messages to a contact) does.
    www.owa-pda.com

Thanks Lee

But I'm not following you completely. If I understand you set up a rule using a local Outlook client. And now all mail that meets the rule's criteria continue to be forwarded? Did you set this up while logged into the e-mail account itself? This e-mail account is not attached to a user so no one logs into it, they just check the mailbox.

BTW, We are running Exchange 2007 with Office XP for clients (planning on migrating to 2010 this year.

Hope this helps, Scott<> P.S. Please post a response to let us know whether our answer helped or not. Microsoft Access MVP 2009 Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA Technical Editor for: Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports and Queries
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Yes, someone would need to log into the mailbox at least once using Outlook.  Or, since you have E2007, in OWA - that way you can be sure that the rule is a server-side one.  But I now only have E2010, and I can't remember how good setting up rules in OWA 2007 was.  It is always a bit behind desktop outlook when it comes to things like this.
    www.owa-pda.com
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:13 PM