none
Text editor embedded in a Access form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a way to "create" a text editor in a Access form, or share some experience in this matter.

I'm trying with an unbound object frame control and use the MS Office Word Document OLE Class but I didn't achive a way to save the input and have some issues with stability of the use of the Word Ribbon when the Unbound object frame gains focus.

Thanks

João.

Joao Simplicio Rodrigues

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi João Simplicio Rodrigues,

you can see that the functionality you want to include has some issue due to 2 separate application.

also you had mentioned that ,"save the content of the control in a MS Word (docx) file."

so it looks like you want to do all the operations in the word.

so is it possible for you that you just open the word file using Access and after opening it user can perform all the operations there and after completing all user directed again to Access Application.

so in this way both application will work independently and we can avoid the issues.

Regards

Deepak 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:08 AM

All replies

• This depends very much on the features you wish to have in your editor. Basic formatting capabilities are available if you set a text controls "Text Format" property to Rich Text. You can bind this text control to a Long Text field in a table.

When you select the Rich Text control, you can see in the ribbon on the Home in the group "Text Formatting" what editing capabilities are available (fonts, colors, lists, justification etc.).

Matthias Kläy, Kläy Computing AG

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:13 PM
  • Hi Joao Simplicio Rodrigues,

you had mentioned that,"didn't achive a way to save the input and have some issues with stability of the use of the Word Ribbon when the Unbound object frame gains focus."

you did not mentioned where you want to save it?

also you have some issues with stability, but you did not mentioned which issues.

if possible please post your code so that we can try to look in to that.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Thank you for reply

Matthias: Hopefully I would like features more close to MS Word as possible. For instance that the users of my application could paste a few cells from Excel in the document they made.

Your suggestion to textbox (rich format set) bound to a memo field with basic formatting capabilities, is not a solution to me because in my application I use pop-up forms, and like this the group text formatting is not available when the textbox get focus.

Deepak: I'm still trying to code it to save the content of the control in a MS Word (docx) file.

The stability issue is related with the fact that I had "configure" the access ribbon in my application with startFromScratch="true", and set it up with my own tabs, groups and controls. Then when the unbound object frame (with OLE class Word) get focus the "native" Word Ribbon pop's up interfering with my Ribbon.

Another one of the problems is when exiting  from the  unbound object frame (loosing focus). If it's made clicking directly in another control sometimes the application halts.

The only way to exit right is clicking in the form... But ask the users to be gentle with the application is something impossible in my "ecosystem"...

I'll look for something I found in the web call XStandard and see if fits my needs...

Thanks again.

João

Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:38 PM
  • Hi João Simplicio Rodrigues,

you can see that the functionality you want to include has some issue due to 2 separate application.

also you had mentioned that ,"save the content of the control in a MS Word (docx) file."

so it looks like you want to do all the operations in the word.

so is it possible for you that you just open the word file using Access and after opening it user can perform all the operations there and after completing all user directed again to Access Application.

so in this way both application will work independently and we can avoid the issues.

Regards

Deepak 

Friday, September 9, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Deepak,

After some consideration with my colleagues, and before read your post, I came to the same conclusion.

The solution that will be implement is create a button and with automation open a MS-Word window with a custom  Ribbon in word.

There are some issues related to overcame, for instance, what if the user already has a Word window open? And others that I must address with much more (work) vba code, like file system control, versions etc. but  nevertheless I will walk this path.

Thanks

Joao Simplicio Rodrigues

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:55 PM