Appfabric Caching Syncronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are planning to use AppFabric as potential caching solution. We have a service which returns look-up data which is stored in SQL server. The client passes the ID to the service which returns the look-up data from Database. We want to cache the look-up data so that the service need not hit the database server. I hope app fabric can help here. My question is what happens if the underlying database changes? How would the cache updated? Is there an automatic way of updating the cache if the underlying values changed in Database using AppFabric? Please point me to related resource in this regard.

Thanks

Rasheed

Friday, February 18, 2011 7:13 PM

Answers

• AFCache is a cache aside type of cache i.e. you have to take care of the Database updates on your side and the leverage AFCache as the explicit cache (no implicit tasks are done for you). This is easily achieved by encapsulating your synchronization code with the AFCache code (Get(), Put(), Getandlock...), that way you just call the encapsulated synchronization method as needed. This also allows great flexibility in case your source data changes or is kept in separate stores.

You can find info such as whitepapers and blogs from the main MSDN page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/ee695849.aspx

-Jaime.
    • Proposed as answer by Jaime Alva Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by arasheed Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:24 PM
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:53 AM