InfoPath 2007 and SharePoint 2007 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am pretty new with InfoPath 2007 License. Can anyone tell me how InfoPath 2007 license works with SharePoint 2007.

Basically, we would like to create a web form where everyone can fill out. Once it is submitted, it will go to our custom list in SharePoint. I want to make sure that users don't need InfoPath client installed locally.

We currently have SharePoint 2007 standard (not enterprise). Do we need Enteprise? We have more than 350 users on site.

thanks,

Christophe

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:57 PM InfoPath 2007 questions go to the InfoPath forum (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• John, the only option now is to upgrade to Enterprise, because Forms Server is no longer sold nor available.  It used to be available, so you were spot on with the advice except that there just is no longer a Forms Server option.

Christophe, one other thing is that you don't submit a web form to a list.  When you have a browser form, it is rendered from a form library - that is where the form lives and where the data is submitted as an XML file.  To get data from that form into an actual list would require custom code or special CAML customization.  I just wanted to point that, because the way you stated it seemed as if you had different expectations than how InfoPath behaves in SharePoint.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:24 AM

All replies

• Christophe --

If you want to allow users to complete browser-based InfoPath forms without having the InfoPath 2007 client installed locally, you have a couple of options:

• Upgrade to SharePoint 2007 Enterprise, which includes InfoPath Forms Services. This will require purchasing Enterprise Client Access Licenses (CALs) for each user on top of the Standard CALs for SharePoint (both the Standard and Enterprise CALs must be purchased together).
    • Implement Office Forms Server 2007, which provides the same functionality as InfoPath Forms Services, but with a different licensing plan. You will have to purchase a server license for the product as well as CALs for each user, but the pricing for those may be more palatable than the full MOSS Enterprise CAL.

I don't know the pricing for these products, but you can get more information about how the licensing for each of them works here: http://www.microsoft.com/latam/sharepoint/howtobuy/default.mspx

- John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide. Coming Soon - The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:37 PM
  • John, the only option now is to upgrade to Enterprise, because Forms Server is no longer sold nor available.  It used to be available, so you were spot on with the advice except that there just is no longer a Forms Server option.

Christophe, one other thing is that you don't submit a web form to a list.  When you have a browser form, it is rendered from a form library - that is where the form lives and where the data is submitted as an XML file.  To get data from that form into an actual list would require custom code or special CAML customization.  I just wanted to point that, because the way you stated it seemed as if you had different expectations than how InfoPath behaves in SharePoint.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:24 AM
  • >John, the only option now is to upgrade to Enterprise, because Forms Server is no longer sold nor available.  It used to be available, so you were spot on >with the advice except that there just is no longer a Forms Server option.

Someone who once bought the Forms Server product but who no longer uses it could theoretically sell it to the OP. However for all practical purposes (how do you find such a person) your answer is of course correct. (If a Forms server copy could be found, the product is still supported afaik)

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:22 AM