ADF cannot create sub folders for pipelines or datasets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Is anyone else having problems with data factory (v2) creating sub folders for your pipelines or datasets? All the devs in our entire company cannot create any more sub folders (we've only created a few so far). We can still create root level folders but clicking the three dots (...) and selecting create folder now does nothing, doesn't even seem to throw an error?

At first I thought this was a browser issue using chrome, but we've tried Firefox and Edge and same problem there. I work for another company as well (where I administer the entire subscription) and I've also tried in their offices and same problem. As far as I'm aware no one has changed anything and there are no 'locks' on the data factories so...

Is there a problem? Or are we doing something wrong?

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi padigan,

I have reached out to internal team regarding this issue and they have confirmed this as a UI bug. Currently UI is not allowing to rename a folder or create a subfolder. A hotfix will be deployed before end of this week. 

But if this is a blocker for you, please try the below work around. Create the dataset/pipeline and go to the JSON code and add the subfolder structure as needed and then click "OK". You will see the subfolder created and the particular entity will reside inside that subfolder.

Thanks much for pointing this to us.
    Let us know if you have any further query. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi padigan,

Thanks for your query. When you say SubFolders & RootFolder, could you please give an example or a screenshot?

Are you saying that you were unable to create a subfolder inside Folder3 in below example? 

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 10:38 PM
  • Hi padigan,

I have reached out to internal team regarding this issue and they have confirmed this as a UI bug. Currently UI is not allowing to rename a folder or create a subfolder. A hotfix will be deployed before end of this week. 

But if this is a blocker for you, please try the below work around. Create the dataset/pipeline and go to the JSON code and add the subfolder structure as needed and then click "OK". You will see the subfolder created and the particular entity will reside inside that subfolder.

Thanks much for pointing this to us.
    Let us know if you have any further query. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:57 PM
  • Hi Kranthi

Thanks for the workaround I'll try that, glad to know its a real bug and not just me doing something wrong. I'd also logged this issue on GitHub here https://github.com/Azure/Azure-DataFactory/issues/165 

Cheers

Padigan

Thursday, March 5, 2020 9:46 AM
  • Thanks for sharing the link here. :)

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Saturday, March 7, 2020 1:50 AM
  • Hi padigan,

Update:The fix for this issue has been deployed and folder/sub-folder creation/renaming in Azure Data Factory UI is working as expected. Please report to us if you see any issues.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Monday, March 9, 2020 10:00 PM