none
How to offer apps free to some user accounts as a developer?

Answers

All replies

• No, there is no such feature for Windows.

I believe there is a request for this on http://wpdev.uservoice.com that you can vote on.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:53 PM
  • There is no easy way to implement that, but this is how I offer selected users in-app purchases for free (similar steps should work to offer an app for free if your app has a trial):

1. Publish a Beta app "FreeLicense" and deliver it to the users you want to offer your app (or in-app purchase) for free. App doesn't actually has to do anything.

2. In your actual app that you want to offer for free for selected users, check on startup if the "FreeLicense" app exists in the device. If yes, enable full features without user having to do the purchase. See sample code below.

IEnumerable<Package> myApps = Windows.Phone.Management.Deployment.InstallationManager.FindPackagesForCurrentPublisher();

var freeLicenseAppFound = myApps.FirstOrDefault(a => a.Id.ProductId.Equals("{<freeLicenseAppProductIdHere>}", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase)) != null;

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Kine, beta apps are not supported for Windows.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Yes my suggestion works only for Windows Phone currently. Sorry, I didn't notice this was a Windows specific thread.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Hello Sam,

At this time this feature is not supported on the Windows Store.  This is a great suggestion for an improvement to the eco system.  I recommend leaving feedback here: Dev Feedback page.

-Miles

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:13 PM