none
Break mirroring or Pause mirroring for SharePoint patching RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We have set up mirroring for our prod content databases and a couple of service application databases.

Now we need to patch the Prod SharePoint with the latest CU.

So should we pause the mirroring or break the mirroring for this patching?

Thursday, April 18, 2019 4:17 AM

Answers

• You do not need to break or pause for patching in a SQL Mirroring scenario, however your Usage database should not be part of your SQL Mirroring. I don't recall specifically for mirroring, but if the Usage is otherwise highly available, the psconfig process cannot complete.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi, spadminspadmin,

Please BREAK the database mirroring for the databases. Once this is done, the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard will succeed updating the Farm as designed. Once the update is successfully applied, the mirroring can be rebuild in SQL.

Please refer to this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/8324b4ec-5714-4101-ae0e-d6fc36afba01/procedure-for-patching-sharepoint-2013-farm-w-mirrored-databases?forum=sharepointadmin

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:33 AM
  • It does not say anything about the content databases, it mostly talks about the service app databases

Is there any other link available which suggests to break the mirroring than pausing for all the databases?

If we pause the mirroring instead of breaking it and we do not have any usage database mirrored then can it be an issue?
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:51 AM
  • You do not need to break or pause for patching in a SQL Mirroring scenario, however your Usage database should not be part of your SQL Mirroring. I don't recall specifically for mirroring, but if the Usage is otherwise highly available, the psconfig process cannot complete.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:27 PM