none
How to get lpName and namespace of firmware environment variable? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I trying to use GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable function but I do not know the lpName and lpGuid how to get.

Does it have tool or command get it? Thanks.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724325(v=vs.85).aspx

• Edited by MissMnie Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:42 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:34 AM

Answers

• There is no way to enumerate the various environment variables; you have to know what you're looking for. The only GUID that is documented for your use is the NULL name and the NULL GUID, which looks like this: GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable ("", "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}", NULL, 0). If the return value is ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, then the system booted using legacy BIOS; otherwise it booted using UEFI.

You would be better off just using GetFirmwareType

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:42 AM

All replies

• That is how UEFI communicates with the OS boot code. What are you trying to do?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:09 AM
  • That is how UEFI communicates with the OS boot code. What are you trying to do?

-Brian

For some business application so I want to get/set Firmware Environment Variable in desktop program.
    • Edited by MissMnie Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:13 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:12 AM
  • WHICH variables?

-Brian

Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:55 PM
  • WHICH variables?

-Brian

Hi 

If have any method get any variable, I could try it. It is OK!

I searched some sample code but I did not know my PC's  lpName and lpGuid.

Thanks.

https://kunyichen.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/note-readwrite-uefi-variables-under-windows-7-and-later/#comment-1362  

• Edited by MissMnie Monday, April 18, 2016 2:05 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 2:05 AM
  • There is no way to enumerate the various environment variables; you have to know what you're looking for. The only GUID that is documented for your use is the NULL name and the NULL GUID, which looks like this: GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable ("", "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}", NULL, 0). If the return value is ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, then the system booted using legacy BIOS; otherwise it booted using UEFI.

You would be better off just using GetFirmwareType

-Brian

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:42 AM