2015 Editible Grid Screen... Where'd they go? RRS feed

• Question

• Been going over the demo and illustrations of prior versions of LS figuring that there would be no loss of functionally as Lightswitch evolved but after doing what I believe to be a fairly exhaustive look for where it may have been shuffled off to it would appear to me that the editable grid screen has been abandoned, or if that is not the case it has been tucked away in such a way as to not be very obvious to at least me where it has gone.

Could some one in the know 'Switch' some 'light' on this because I seem to be in the dark at the moment. 

Thanks,

Ken Carter

Thursday, October 8, 2015 12:56 PM

All replies

• Is the answer here by blending in Silverlight? Choosing A Screen Type

This looks promising...

Ken Carter

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:16 PM
  • The Editable grid screen has not been abandoned, this screen template is still available in the Desktop client (aka RichClient / Silverlight). The 5 standard screen templates are still there.

If by chance you are in a HTML client then there are only 4 screen templates available as standard, and an editable grid template is not one of them. That does not mean to say you cannot have an editable grid in the HTML client.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Dave,

Could you clarify this a bit because I do have the flexibility to make some choices here if they drive the functionality of the interface to any significance.

I had intended to host this as a web app from an internal web server on our intranet.  Now if you are telling me that it would be better to build client that sits on the desktop because the editable grid would become available there and not in the web app presentation mode; that becomes a key issue in platform choice for me.

I only have a small audience to deploy to (less than 10 users) and as for reporting I can generate that on a web site independent of this for the other issues. If have to manage app deployment for under 10 desktops that doesn't seem like a high price to pay for functionally gains if that is my trade off.  It would be my preference to be able to do it 100% from the intranet web site but if that were the case then I'd consider shifting strategy.

Regards,

Ken Carter

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:40 PM