none
Limit number of players RRS feed

• Question

• According to the documents the SDK supports up to 6 individual players to be tracked using depth_and_player_index.

In my application only 4 players maximum can be available. Is there any reason why there are always up-to 6 players - resulting in switching player indices when a player is lost?

For instance, I have 4 players being tracked, player 4 is lost - not tracked anymore. This player had index 5. Now this player returns and has index 6.

It would be usefull to configure this setting in the range [1,6], but probably there is something I am missing.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Kinect Beta SDK does not provide a way to track or control the concept of application-level user identity. The player index returned varies randomly among all 6 possibilities when a tracked player skeleton is lost and re-tracked so that this concept is not mistakenly used as true player identity, which has not been implemented at the SDK level.

See behavior description in thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/kinectsdknuiapi/thread/66e3fad7-0b7f-4948-9a92-826d63ae9b8b

Hope this helps,
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:39 PM
  • what about the tracking with the trackingid would that help eddy or anyone reading the post? I saw you had dicussed that before and said if a person leaves the room they are not lost but does that apply to this scenario?

Although full face recogition directly is probably not implemented like for identification. But partial recogition of the body is implemented of what i know and have read.

• Edited by The Thinker Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:53 PM
  • If a person leaves the room their skeleton goes away. If they come back to be tracked again, the tracking ID would be different than before.
    I'm here to help
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:02 PM
  • What I would like to be able to do is limit that number of possibilities. So the

all 6 possibilities

becomes the

all 4 possibilities

So there still would be no connection with player identity, but can help in speeding up some processes I assume. I know its not in the current SDK, but see this as a request for a feature :)

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Agree with statment above then if theirs no way to track the player if they leave the room and come back i would like one implemented else whats the point in tracking a person in the first place? Even if its partial recogintion and his idea above to limit players to a certain amount so you can focus on actual recoginiton of players and not working abut writing long lines of code to track when the same player comes back.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, we are considering different options for resolving this limitation, but I can't provide you with any guarantees or timeline as to when this will be resolved.

Thanks for your patience!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:33 PM