none
install VSTO for all user silently RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wanted to install the office vsto file (office 2010) for all users. i  have read somewhere that i can do that by creating the registry 

but the issue with the registry is that, when the open the office word, it display the pop-up stating whether to install the addin or not.

I tried using vstoinstaller.exe to silently install the addins, but it doesnt install the addins for all users

is there any other solution i can use

regards

Pushpendra

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Pushpendra,

>> But i am getting the trusted dialog box pop-up for each user (when opening excel).

. If you publish a solution that is signed with a temporary certificate, the end user will be prompted to make a trust decision.

If you sign the solution with a known and trusted certificate, the solution will automatically be installed without prompting the end user to make a trust decision

As a developer, you can sign the certificated with a known and trustful publisher, the solution will automatically be installed without any prompt. While using an unknown publisher .it will prompt end users to make trust decision. Please be sure the publisher is known and trustful.  For more information, you can refer to this link

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb772086.aspx

Hope this will help you.

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:59 AM

All replies

• do you mean that without a prompt to let the users to make a trust decision ?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Yes. and for all users

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:55 PM
  • if the solution was grant full trust solution, when user installs it ,no prompt window will shows.

granting trust to office solutions

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb772086(v=vs.110).aspx 

hope this will help you

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Ok i will try that solution.

And how to install addins so that i comes for all users.

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:27 PM
  • The HKLM registry hive requires admin privileges for adding the keys and modifying their values. So, you need to run the installer with admin privileges. Also you may find the Silent Installing VSTO add in forum thread helpful.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:46 PM
  • there is no much difference for one user and all user,also you can refer to Eugene's suggestion
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 3:23 PM
  • I am sticking to the registry entry .I have created the registry entry like you have mentioned

Root: HKLM64; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Teide.Excel";

ValueType: string; ValueName: "Manifest"; ValueData: "file:///{PATH}\bin\TeideExcel.vsto"  
    Root: HKLM64; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Teide.Excel"; ValueType: dword;

ValueName: "LoadBehavior"; ValueData: "3"     

Root: HKLM64; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Teide.Excel"; ValueType: string;

ValueName: "Description"; ValueData: "Teide Excel Addin"   
    Root: HKLM64; Subkey: "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\Teide.Excel"; ValueType: string;

ValueName: "FriendlyName"; ValueData: "Teide Excel Addin"   

But i am getting the trusted dialog box pop-up for each user (when opening excel).How to install it in such a way that it should automatically install for other user and no trusted pop-up should come for other user. 

Pushpendra

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:26 AM
  • Hi Pushpendra,

>> But i am getting the trusted dialog box pop-up for each user (when opening excel).

. If you publish a solution that is signed with a temporary certificate, the end user will be prompted to make a trust decision.

If you sign the solution with a known and trusted certificate, the solution will automatically be installed without prompting the end user to make a trust decision

As a developer, you can sign the certificated with a known and trustful publisher, the solution will automatically be installed without any prompt. While using an unknown publisher .it will prompt end users to make trust decision. Please be sure the publisher is known and trustful.  For more information, you can refer to this link

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb772086.aspx

Hope this will help you.

Best Regards

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:59 AM
  • I am used the trusted certificate. I see the dialog pop-up stating the addins is getting installed.Certainly it is not asking for the permission, but my intention is that even this dialog box should be hidden for trusted certificate and installation should be silent.

Possible?

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 3:29 PM
  • Well, it looks like the dialog box depends on the Trust Center settings. Did you have a chance to check out the Trust Center settings?
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:24 PM
  • Pushpendra,

What dialog box exactly do you get? Could you please be more specific?

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Addin image

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:17 PM
  • I am talking about the dialog box above

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:17 PM
  • That is a standard windows which shows the overall progress. I guess there is no way to hide it. Instead, you may consider using the MSI installer which allows to install the software silently.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:31 PM
  • hmm ok..then probably i can stick to existing way.

Another quick question, i noticed that even after uninstalling the addins and installing a new one.. OFFICE app (WORD/ excel etc) still loads the old addins.

I am assuming something to do with cache.

What is the clean and best approach to uninstall addins. And what all files needs to be deleted.

Pushpendra

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:37 PM
  • I'd suggest asking separate questions on new forum threads. Thus, forum readers may recognize questions and answers easily.

Did you uninstall old add-ins before installing new ones?

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

As  Eugene Astafiev has said , please post your  question separately on  new forum threads. For your questions are about setup ,you can post your questions in this forum for better solutions:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winformssetup  

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards

Lan

Friday, January 30, 2015 7:09 AM
  • ok thanks..you may close this thread.

Pushpendra

Friday, January 30, 2015 1:10 PM