none
[MS-RDPEECO] Which server supports this extension? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I'am trying to implement MS-RDPEECO extension, according to the document, windows 7/windows 2008 R2/Windows 8 beta support this extension.

But i can't receive DYNVC_CREATE_REQ in DVC client manager, so i can't do further work.

I tried both RDVH (Windows 7 SP1 VDI) and RDSH (Windows 2008 R2). RDVH send PNPDR and URBDRC DYNVC_CREATE_REQ from server, and RDSH send PNPDR request. But both of them never send ECHO channel request.

I would like to know how to enable this feature on server side, or which senair this VC will be requested to open?

Thanks.

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:05 AM

Answers

• Arlo Liu,

Thank you for your patience.  The server-side of [MS-RDPEECO] is present in Windows Vista and Windows 7 in the RDP client (recall the RDP server creates this virtual channel, so the “server side” of this protocol is implemented in the RDP client).  The client-side of [MS-RDPEECO] is ONLY in Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 and is ONLY opened when communicating with a down-level client (Windows Vista or Windows 7).  Therefore, the use-scenario of [MS-RDPEECO] is a Windows 7 client remoting to a Windows 8 or Server 2012 machine.

It is not used in RDP8 connections (Windows 8/Server 2012 to Windows 8/Server 2012) because those connections will use the new [MS-RDPBCGR] 2.2.14 Network Characteristics Detection technique to measure RTT.

I have a decrypted Network Monitor trace showing this protocol.  Please send mail to me at “dochelp (at) Microsoft (dot) com” and I will send it to you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Arlo Liu,

The echo channel is opened when a legacy client connects.  Is this a client you are developing or a Microsoft client?  If you are using a Windows client, which version of Windows?

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi Bryan:

The client i used is our implementation which support remotefx and rdp 7.1. Does it means we don't need this extension actually? I would like to know which scenario will needs this channel. The first public document of echo channel published at 2011/12/16 so i assume it's a new extension to fetch a proper round trip time between server and client.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi Arlo Liu,

Let me reserach rdp 7.1 specifically.  The newest update for RDP8 of [MS-RDPBCGR] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc240445(v=prot.10).aspx cites the methods under 2.2.14 Network Characteristics Detection:

2.2.14 Network Characteristics Detection
    2.2.14.1 Server Auto-Detect Request PDU
    2.2.14.1.1 RTT Measure Request (RDP_RTT_REQUEST)
    2.2.14.1.2 Bandwidth Measure Start (RDP_BW_START)
    2.2.14.1.3 Bandwidth Measure Payload (RDP_BW_PAYLOAD)
    2.2.14.1.4 Bandwidth Measure Stop (RDP_BW_STOP)
    2.2.14.2 Client Auto-Detect Response PDU
    2.2.14.2.1 RTT Measure Response (RDP_RTT_RESPONSE)
    2.2.14.2.2 Bandwidth Measure Results (RDP_BW_RESULTS)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Hi Bryan:

Thanks for your help. i noticed RDP8 has bandwidth and RTT measurement. i'm curious the role of this echo channel for win7 and win 2k8, and the role if RDP8 has built-in mechanism.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Arlo Liu,

Thank you for your patience.  The server-side of [MS-RDPEECO] is present in Windows Vista and Windows 7 in the RDP client (recall the RDP server creates this virtual channel, so the “server side” of this protocol is implemented in the RDP client).  The client-side of [MS-RDPEECO] is ONLY in Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 and is ONLY opened when communicating with a down-level client (Windows Vista or Windows 7).  Therefore, the use-scenario of [MS-RDPEECO] is a Windows 7 client remoting to a Windows 8 or Server 2012 machine.

It is not used in RDP8 connections (Windows 8/Server 2012 to Windows 8/Server 2012) because those connections will use the new [MS-RDPBCGR] 2.2.14 Network Characteristics Detection technique to measure RTT.

I have a decrypted Network Monitor trace showing this protocol.  Please send mail to me at “dochelp (at) Microsoft (dot) com” and I will send it to you.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Hi Bryan:

Thanks for your answer, i'll try to connect to windows 8.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:01 AM