none
POS for NET Support for 64bit. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently we have a POS 32bit application on x86 machine with POS for .Net 1.12 and on Microsoft .Net framework 2.0 which is working fine on 32bit and 64bit machines.

We are currently moving out to the latest versions of  POS for .Net i.e., 1.14 and .Net framework 4.0 while doing so we are having issues while opening the device connected to the POS service.

Tried the following:

1. Tried running 1.12 posfornet with .Net framework 4.0 64bit --- NoService Error code

2. Tried running 1.12 posfornet with .Net framework 4.0 32bit --- NoService Error code

3. Tried running 1.14 posfornet with .Net framework 4.0 64bit and 32bit --- NoService Error code

4.Tried running 1.12 posfornet with .Net framework  2.0 32bit --- Works.

5. Tried running 1.12 posfornet with .Net framework 2.0 64bit --- NoService Error code

Added 

<runtime>
        <NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy enabled="true" />
      </runtime>

to App.config. No luck.

While running the POS4NET service it throws PosControlException with Error Code NoService both on 32bit and and 64bit machines(It is unable to instantiate the device)

Any pointers that I may be missing will be helpful in taking my tool transition forward.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi sudheermsk,

From the following POS for .NET v1.14 document, it seems that itdoesn't provide relatedmessage about running on x64bit machine. you could also post a feedback on the page.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn638335(v=winembedded.4).aspx

In addition, the following link provide a solution about POS for .NET doesn’t work in 64-bit and POS for .NET doesn’t work in .NET 4.0

#POS for .NET doesn’t work in 64-bit

You can still use the peripherals on 64-bit operating systems, but you will need to compile your desktop application as 32-bit (Right click on your project –> Build –> Platform target: x86). You even need to do this with the example application that comes with POS for .NET (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Point Of Service\SDK\Samples\Sample Application) if you want to use it.

#POS for .NET doesn’t work in .NET 4.0

you could add some tag on your configuration files.

http://blog.lavablast.com/post/2011/06/06/Using-Microsoft-POS-for-NET-in-2011.aspx

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. 

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi sudheerkumar_0,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, your issue is about POS for .NET and since our forum is to discuss the .NET Framework setup and servicing, after confirmed with the specific engineer, I will help you move it to the appropriate forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=netfxbcl for dedicated information, you will get a better support for your issue, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi sudheerkumar_0,

Please download and install the following fixes apply, which could resolve some issues that might occur with POS for .NET v1.12 & .NET 4.

Update for Microsoft Point of Service for .NET v1.12  (KB980087)

Update for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (KB2755802)

Update for Windows Embedded POSReady 7 (KB2755802)

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi Cole Wu,

Thank you for the Answer,

I have tried installing the update provided

Update for Microsoft Point of Service for .NET v1.12  (KB980087) but could get it working

On further exploring I found that this particular function is returning null as a result that exception,

Public DeviceInfo GetDevice(string type, string logicalName);

Any pointers from here?

Thank you,

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Hi sudheerkumar_0,

According to your description, it seems that you couldn't retrieve DeviceInfo from your device. please check if you pass the correct parameters.

Parameters

type

A string that contains one of the 24 POS device types, as defined by the DeviceType helper class.

logicalName

The logical name or alias of the device.

For more information, please refer to:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd161634(v=winembedded.10).aspx

Best regards,

Cole Wu

Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:51 AM
  • Hi Cole Wu,

Am passing the right data as parameters because I could the device data when running as 32bit, 

My doubt is, whether there is any compatibility issue with POSfor.Net x64 and .net Framework 4 and above.

if not can you point me to some sample if there is some which runs on x64 and .Net 4 and above(POS4.NET SDK 1.12/1.14)

Thanks and regards,

Sudheerkumar

Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi sudheermsk,

I would suggest that you could post a sample request to  http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/requests.

I hope it's helpful to you.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Hi Cole Wu,

Thank you I will post for a sample request

Before that can you pleas help me understand whether there is any compatibility issue with POS running on x64 bit machine. Is it a know issue on x64, .Net4+ and POS4NET SDK 1.14.

Thank you,

Sudheerkumar 

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hi sudheermsk,

From the following POS for .NET v1.14 document, it seems that itdoesn't provide relatedmessage about running on x64bit machine. you could also post a feedback on the page.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn638335(v=winembedded.4).aspx

In addition, the following link provide a solution about POS for .NET doesn’t work in 64-bit and POS for .NET doesn’t work in .NET 4.0

#POS for .NET doesn’t work in 64-bit

You can still use the peripherals on 64-bit operating systems, but you will need to compile your desktop application as 32-bit (Right click on your project –> Build –> Platform target: x86). You even need to do this with the example application that comes with POS for .NET (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Point Of Service\SDK\Samples\Sample Application) if you want to use it.

#POS for .NET doesn’t work in .NET 4.0

you could add some tag on your configuration files.

http://blog.lavablast.com/post/2011/06/06/Using-Microsoft-POS-for-NET-in-2011.aspx

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. 

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Hi Cole Wu,

Sure, Thank you so much :)

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:46 AM