none
How Do You Completely Remove an App From Office - Not Just Hide? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to test the Buy / Free Trial process for a live app, but am stuck in a situation where once I have downloaded an app, I can't completely remove it. You can Hide/Retrieve an app, but I want to completely remove the app from my account - not just hide it. It's fine if I need to re-purchase the app to do the testing. I just want to be able to wipe the slate clean without having to create a new windows live account for each time I want to run a new test.

If this is not going to be possible, what do you recommend that developers do to debug problems related to apps that are currently approved in the Store?

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

When you convert from a Trial to a Paid experience in the client the token does change from Trial to Paid, but this refresh is driven by the user in the app UX. The app UX in Trial mode will show a notification that says Buy Now, and when this Buy Now button is clicked, it opens up the purchase browser window. Simultaneously, the notification message inside the app changes to another message with a "Refresh" button. When this "Refresh" button is clicked, the client (Word or Excel) calls for a refresh of the Token, and the app reloads with the new token and the new experience.

In your scenario, I think the purchase was done on the web outside the context of the app, which is why the token may not have refreshed. There are two workarounds available to you

a. Load the app inside Excel. Click on the Trial notification. Click the Buy Now button. Ignore the browser window where the app page online opens up, and go back to Excel. You should see a Refresh button at this time. Click the Refresh button to reload the app with the paid token

b. Navigate to this folder after replacing the <Your User> tag with the appropriate location: C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Wef. Clear the contents of this folder entirely. Then retry the whole process. This should force a refresh of the token as well.

Additional note: The Manage My Apps control only allows you to Hide a particular app temporarily but doesn't wipe the slate clean with respect to the tokens. This is driven by the Refresh button in the app UX.

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:16 PM

All replies

• You are trying to debug the installation process (buy / free), or the app functionality? You should be able to release app update and then it should be automatically updated. (If not then there is something wrong with office store tbh)

Anze Javornik

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:31 AM
  • I need to test the app's response to the change from Free Trial to Buy. I suspect that there is a problem with the token that is sent after the purchase has been made (an office store problem).

The scenario is: After a person downloads a free trial, does the "et" value of the token change from "Trial" to "Paid" when a person purchases the app? I can't test this because I can't remove an older Free version of the app.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Can you look at this site

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj163908.aspx#bk_create

It has a section on "Create and load test app licenses for the app for Office" and some other pointers on how to test licesing code.

Anze Javornik

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Thanks. I already went through those articles prior to submission of the app (creating test app licenses, adding license checks, etc.). The test tokens work fine for all the various scenarios. So, according to my tests, the app is working correctly when the "et" value in the token is "Free" or "Trial" or "Paid"

If the office store is sending the token with the value of "Trial" when it should actually be "Paid" - that is a scenario I cannot verify because I cannot completely remove a prior version of the app. If it is returning "Trial" even after a person has made the purchase, then that would be a bug in the store.

If I hide the app and then try to download the trial, it doesn't let me download the trial (I get a 404 error page) and instead it just retrieves the hidden app. At least, I assume that is what is going on because the "et" value in the token is still set to "Free" even though the app has been updated to a free trial.

Thus, I return to the original question ... I need to be able to completely remove an app from my account, not just hide it.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into you thread to see whether they can  help your out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Hi Jon,

When you convert from a Trial to a Paid experience in the client the token does change from Trial to Paid, but this refresh is driven by the user in the app UX. The app UX in Trial mode will show a notification that says Buy Now, and when this Buy Now button is clicked, it opens up the purchase browser window. Simultaneously, the notification message inside the app changes to another message with a "Refresh" button. When this "Refresh" button is clicked, the client (Word or Excel) calls for a refresh of the Token, and the app reloads with the new token and the new experience.

In your scenario, I think the purchase was done on the web outside the context of the app, which is why the token may not have refreshed. There are two workarounds available to you

a. Load the app inside Excel. Click on the Trial notification. Click the Buy Now button. Ignore the browser window where the app page online opens up, and go back to Excel. You should see a Refresh button at this time. Click the Refresh button to reload the app with the paid token

b. Navigate to this folder after replacing the <Your User> tag with the appropriate location: C:\Users\<Your User>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Wef. Clear the contents of this folder entirely. Then retry the whole process. This should force a refresh of the token as well.

Additional note: The Manage My Apps control only allows you to Hide a particular app temporarily but doesn't wipe the slate clean with respect to the tokens. This is driven by the Refresh button in the app UX.

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Thanks, Krishnan.

The user tried approach (a) and that solved the problem, though the feedback was of course that it was not a good solution. The user confirmed that the purchase was done on the web outside the context of the app.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed in the near future.

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:50 PM
  • Sounds like the answer to my original question is "You can't" ... because the apps you download are associated with your windows live account and can never be disassociated. Hidden, yes, but not completely removed. I still vote for being able to to completely delete/remove an app from an account (perhaps as an option when viewing the hidden apps).

Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:40 AM
  • Jon,

Can you help me uninstall the Mini Calendar and Date Picker?  I am trying to get past the "This Add-In is an Office component and should only by uninstalling the corresponding Office feature.

Thank you, 

Jeremy

Sunday, May 24, 2015 4:47 PM
  • I followed all instructions as per your explanation above and doen't work at all.

I purchased from Microsoft "My calendar and date picker" and followed all installations details and this add-on continues in a Demo condition and does not allow me to change dates.

How can I resolve this? I do not want to purchase it again!

Friday, May 27, 2016 6:08 PM