none
Ordering Combo Boxes RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to create a data entry form for my users where they can select multiple options for when a submitter is able to be contacted.  The options are:

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

NoDaySelected

The issue is that the system automatically alphabetizes the records, but the client wants them in calendar order.  Is there VBA code that I can add to assign a value to the field and have them display in a certain order?

For example, when Tuesday and Friday are selected, my Access database reads "Friday, Tuesday".  However, we would want it to read "Tuesday, Friday" because of the order on the calendar.

This may be a dumb question and I apologize in advance!

Thanks,
    Sean

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean. Are you referring to a Multi-Value Field (MVF)? If so, try assigning or creating the options in ID order to see if it makes any difference. Hope that helps...

I agree with the DB guy.

What you may also have to do is in the Control Source for the MVF is include the ID Field from the underlying Table of the MVF. Then in the Properties dialog sheet make sure the Bound Column is 1, and the 1st column width is set to 0" while the next is set to a size that will accommodate the days text.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Sean. Are you referring to a Multi-Value Field (MVF)? If so, try assigning or creating the options in ID order to see if it makes any difference. Hope that helps...
    • Proposed as answer by KCDW Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:59 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

Where are the options(Tuesday, Wednesday...) located?  Are they in ComboBox? 
    I hope you will insert a screenshot of your data entry form in next post or provide it via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. 

Regards.
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:34 AM

I agree with the DB guy.

What you may also have to do is in the Control Source for the MVF is include the ID Field from the underlying Table of the MVF. Then in the Properties dialog sheet make sure the Bound Column is 1, and the 1st column width is set to 0" while the next is set to a size that will accommodate the days text.

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:02 AM