Video freeze ups in browsers?

Question

• I've got a Win8 preview installed on my i7 box with an ATI HD Radeon 5700 video card. Whenever the machine tries to play video in a browser, it freezes up the browser. This happens with YouTube but it's even happening on the Bing homepage today with HTML video (today's one of the Bing video days). On Bing today, it starts by displaying the Bing page with a static image, then the image fades to black and locks up the browser. If you type quickly (before the video starts), it works OK so it's definitely the video that's doing it.

Playing videos outside the browser in Media Player works OK. Both the IE10 Metro and Desktop browsers have the issue with both HTML and Flash video. Chrome seems to work OK with HTML video, but crashes with Flash video. Flash video in a Hyper-V WinXP VM seemed to work OK.

Anyone else seeing similar issues?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• In Internet Explorer go to Tools->Internet Option and advance tab and make it not use GPU to render graphic and see if problem happen in HTML or not.

It could be issue with graphic card interaction with IE, try update your Windows and install latest graphic card driver and make sure that send report if it ask you to do so.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:45 PM

All replies

• In Internet Explorer go to Tools->Internet Option and advance tab and make it not use GPU to render graphic and see if problem happen in HTML or not.

It could be issue with graphic card interaction with IE, try update your Windows and install latest graphic card driver and make sure that send report if it ask you to do so.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Good call! Disabling the GPU in Internet Explorer fixed HTML5 video playback, though flash video playback is still broken. I tried updating the ATI video drivers, but that didn't affect anything (I was pretty up-to-date already).

I saw in another forum post that having Hyper-V installed may make a difference as well. But I need Hyper-V right now for some critical VM's so I can't uninstall it to test that theory.

It really does look like it might be a video driver issue though.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:58 PM
  • When you disable GPU , IE won't use GPU directly and there wasn't any error so it is issue when Flash or IE use GPU and it is GPU problem. It should be compatibility issue and please report it to your graphic card manufacturer too . Also follow steps on:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/troubleshoot-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

If that didn't solve the issue, I guess you have to wait until compatibility issue resolve.

Friday, December 16, 2011 11:07 AM