MFC Newbie Help Needed! RRS feed

Answers

• This forum is for C++ language and compilation issues.  For MFC programming I would ask here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vc.mfc&lang=en&cr=US

Thanks,

Brian

Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:56 PM
  • There are two forums under the VC++ subtree: General and Language.  I have been saying all along that MFC questions don't belong in the VC++ Language forum, and I did say earlier in this thread that the VC++ General forum does cover general libraries questions, and MFC is one library.  This is where it gets a bit ambiguous.  I consider a general MFC question as: "Can I develop MFC 7.1 applications using VC++ 8.0" or "Does MFC use the Secure CRT?"  I consider "How do I create a CView inside a dialog box?" to be an example of a specific MFC question that is best asked in the newsgroup that is dedicated to MFC programming. 

Having said that, I don't interfere with MFC questions asked in the VC++ General forum, only in the VC++ Language forum.

The two links you give are examples of MFC questions asked in the VC++ General forum and don't serve as a precedents for this case.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:57 PM

All replies

• This forum is for C++ language and compilation issues.  For MFC programming I would ask here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vc.mfc&lang=en&cr=US

Thanks,

Brian

Saturday, March 10, 2007 11:56 PM
  • If you are asking about MFC in VC 2005 you can ask general questions here. UI questions and other Windows programming questions should be asked elsewhere, even if MFC is used. It is sometimes not clear what is in scope for this forum when using MFC. I think that this question is within the scope of this forum, at least in the general use of the CFileDialog class.

To use an Overrideable such as CFileDialog::OnFileNameOK derive a class from CFileDialog then simply create a derived member. If you are unfamiliar with deriving classes from classes you need to become more familiar with C++.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:20 PM
  • The Visual C++ General forum is set up for general libraries questions.  This is the Visual C++ language forum, which is really meant to be focused around the C++ syntax and compilation issues.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:24 PM
  • There does seem to be a lot of misuse of the two VC forums but the important thing is that the Microsoft VC team don't want to require that all MFC questions be asked in the MFC newsgroups.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Again, this is not the place to ask MFC questions, for the same reason it is not the right place to ask questions on how to use BitBlt().  The scope of this forum is quite specific: "This forum covers all standardized languages, extensions, and interop technologies supported by Visual C++. "

As a MSDN moderator, it is my job to make sure that this forum stays on-topic.  Subjectively broadening construing the scope of this forum ends up impacting the experience of all participants.  MFC experts have a dedicated place to help MFC users, and it would be better for all MFC questions to be directed that single place.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:16 PM
  •  Brian Kramer wrote:

Again, this is not the place to ask MFC questions, for the same reason it is not the right place to ask questions on how to use BitBlt().  The scope of this forum is quite specific: "This forum covers all standardized languages, extensions, and interop technologies supported by Visual C++. "

As a MSDN moderator, it is my job to make sure that this forum stays on-topic.  Subjectively broadening construing the scope of this forum ends up impacting the experience of all participants.  MFC experts have a dedicated place to help MFC users, and it would be better for all MFC questions to be directed that single place.

Ayman Shoukry has told me explicitly that MFC questions can be asked in the VC forums. Perhaps not in the VC language forum but that was not stated either way.

MFC is a part of VC just as the CLR/CLI is.

I do want to comply with the requests and requirements of the owner (Microsoft; the VC team specifically) and that is what I am doing as best as I know how when I say that questions about MFC as it exists in VC 2005 are within the scope of the VC forums. It seems logical and reasonable to me that only the VC General forum would be appropriate but that has not been stated explicitly as far as I know. Also there is agreement that questions that are more GUI questions might be outside the scope of these forums.

So we need clarification. Some of the details are not clear to me and I hope there will be clarification. How should we request clarification?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:41 PM
  • See Ayman Shoukry's comments in the following.

Re: image in dialog box

Re: Help button get chm instead of hlp

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:50 PM
  • There are two forums under the VC++ subtree: General and Language.  I have been saying all along that MFC questions don't belong in the VC++ Language forum, and I did say earlier in this thread that the VC++ General forum does cover general libraries questions, and MFC is one library.  This is where it gets a bit ambiguous.  I consider a general MFC question as: "Can I develop MFC 7.1 applications using VC++ 8.0" or "Does MFC use the Secure CRT?"  I consider "How do I create a CView inside a dialog box?" to be an example of a specific MFC question that is best asked in the newsgroup that is dedicated to MFC programming. 

Having said that, I don't interfere with MFC questions asked in the VC++ General forum, only in the VC++ Language forum.

The two links you give are examples of MFC questions asked in the VC++ General forum and don't serve as a precedents for this case.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:57 PM
  •  Brian Kramer wrote:
    What is important is that not all MFC questions are required to be asked in the MFC newsgroups.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:23 PM