Cannot type symbols like ' á ' in non-IE browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Description

I have to develop a multi-locale Silverlight5 application.

Now, I have the following problem / bug: I cannot type symbols like ' á ' into TextBox-controls in non-IE browser.

Instead of the french a, I will see ' ´´a '.

Info

• On a german keyboard you have to type at first the symbol ´ and after that the symbol a to get a á.
    • Other 'double-char' symbols like é or ó also not work as expected.

Tests

• Win7 - IE 9 / 10 --> works
    • Win7 - Chrome --> not
    • Win7 - Firefox --> not
    • Mac OSX -> Chrome --> no typing in general
    • Mac OSX -> Firefox --> works

System environment

• Silverlight 5
    • Webapplication
    • Local en-US and de-DE  

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Edited by Tobias Scholze Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:13 AM Updated headline
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Tobi,

Sorry for my delay reply.

Have you solved your issue?

I would recommend you removing unnessary markup one by one and checking if the issue still occurs, or simply create a new project to reproduce this issue for us to troubleshoot.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for reporting this.

To determine if this is a specific issue to your Silverlight application, have you tried typing symbols like ' á ' in other Silverlight application in IE or non-IE browsers. You may try to enter á  in the textbox control in the following links and check if it works, as this application are using Sliverlight to develop:

http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/silverlight/samplebrowser/#/?sref=TextBoxSnippet<o:p></o:p>

also, please try to add French language in your system.

If you confirm this issue specify to your Silvelight application, please share a simple sample for us to troubleshoot. thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Good morning,

thanks for your answer.

• I cannot reproduce the error with the given website or an example application
    • I have no idea why. I do the same -> It's s specific bug by my application
    • To set the local to french will work. But this is not a prober solution for the company's customers

Thats very frustrating. I have no idea, what triggeres the bug in my application. Do you have any idea what the 'causing point' could be?

Regards, Tobi

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Hi Tobi,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I can not guess what the root cause is. But you may try to create a clean Silverlight application with removing all your bussiness and check if also exist same issue.

in addition, as far as I know, there is some difference between german keyboard and US keyboard, so please try to use US English keyboard(Virtually) and check if it works.

Best regards,

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

I know the difference, the German keyboard ain't so good for development. ;)

With a French local or virtual keyboard, everything will work. 

The problem is generic: If i need more than one key pressing to create a symbol, it will fail.

Thanks for your help. I hope I'll find the difference between the 'big' application and the sample application.

Regards, Tobi

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi all,

this is very weird. Everything is the same. Same locale, same Telerik controls. In my sample application, the á works in all browsers, in my big application, the á still does not work.

If somebody has another glue, please tell me. Thanks a lot folks!

Regards, Tobi

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Hi Tobi,

Sorry for my delay reply.

Have you solved your issue?

I would recommend you removing unnessary markup one by one and checking if the issue still occurs, or simply create a new project to reproduce this issue for us to troubleshoot.

Best regards,

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:34 AM