none
FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT KINECT RRS feed

• Question

• i like to know some information about kinect. can you please help me with my questions
                1) Can we connection two or more kinect device in computer at the same time?
                2) What is the exact Range of the kinect device(field of view)? Please mention the maximum and minimum distance sensor can reach ?

3) Can we extant the Range of kinect? if so means What will be the max?

THANKS

KRISHAN

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:15 PM

All replies

• i like to know some information about kinect. can you please help me with my questions
                1) Can we connection two or more kinect device in computer at the same time?
                2) What is the exact Range of the kinect device(field of view)? Please mention the maximum and minimum distance sensor can reach ?

3) Can we extant the Range of kinect? if so means What will be the max?

THANKS

KRISHAN

1. Can we connect two or more Kinect's to computer? Yes.

2. For range information I have included an msdn article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh973078.aspx

3. The range is extended a little bit for the Kinect for windows but its a small distance (near mode is the biggest feature I can see for kinect for windows) and the difference should be posted in the msdn article above if not I will have to do some searching.

Note: cannot use xbox Kinect except for debugging and testing purposes with v1.0 and above of Kinect sdk.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:34 PM
  • 1) Yes, but if the sensors are in the same "area" you should consider/resolve some interference issues.

2) With "Kinect for Windows"
    in "Default Mode"   min  0.8mt, max 4mt (pratical limit: min 1.2mt, max 3.5mt)
    in "Near Mode" min 0.4mt, max 3mt (pratical limit: min 0.8mt, max 2.5mt)

3) Yes, depeand from the required precision, the ambient light, etc etc
    If you could utilize zoom lens, filters, etc etc

Friday, November 30, 2012 5:40 PM
  •  Thanks for your information, your Range Information is more helpful, Thank you so much for your help.

Can you please give me a suggestion About how to connect two or more kinect with the computer.?

Can we able to measure 3d objects with kinect, like motion tracking,shape changing?

Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Thanks for your information

Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Yes, you can measure 3d objects but it requires some math to translate those measurements into something you can use.

If you want to see something cool you can try akiras kmotion source which is somewhere on this forum (you will have to ask the guy at the end of the thread to email his source code update) and is useful for mapping hand motions to a 3d model or try reconstructme from this address: http://www.reconstructme.com (free for educational use but is 200-300 dollars for commerical usage). Reconstructme is a 3d model importation program written for use with kinect for windows and xbox kinect. The xbox kinect installer uses open ni so do not install it if you plan on using kinect for windows later.

Other then the above and samples included with sdk the rest is up to your imagination.

Note: make sure you have enough power and cpu speed to support the two kinects. In the documentation it should list that or a kinect team member can post here. Off the top of my head I would check the power consumption with device manager.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:49 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 9:49 PM
  • In order to resolve the interference issue when 2 or more Kinect sensors point at the same part of a physical scene I sugest the "Shake 'n' Sense" mechanical technique.
    This simple technique allow to creating complete 360° occlusion-free 3D representations of environments without any need to modify the internal electronics, firmware or associated host software.

Shake 'n' Sense

How-to:
    1) On each Kinect add a motor with an offset weight.
    2) Run the motors ;)
    This setup shakes the Kinect sensors in order to improve the multisensor detection accuracy.

Note: optimal frequency for the shake depend from your setup (motor + offset weight) . Try between 60 Hz and 80Hz ;)

In this video http://youtu.be/CSBDY0RuhS4?hd=1 you can see the "magical" improvement!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:54 PM