Notification for the mobile application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!!!

Once new mobile number has been to the database in the server location, the windows 6.0 mobile application what I'm gonna created has to send a sms using SmsMessage API to the newly added mobile no.,
    Could u pls, lemme know how to accomplish this task.

Thanks In advance
    Thiru.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:24 PM

Answers

• If you want to send an SMS from a Windows Mobile phone, use Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PocketOutlook, and create a new SMS message and use the SMSMessage.Send() method to send it. It's pretty simple :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.windowsmobile.pocketoutlook.smsmessage.send.aspx

Code sample from the above link:

public void SmsMessageSend()
    {
        SmsMessage smsMessage = new SmsMessage();

//Set the message body and recipient.
        smsMessage.Body = "Would you like to meet for lunch?";
        smsMessage.To.Add(new Recipient("John Doe", "2065550199"));
        smsMessage.RequestDeliveryReport = true;

//Send the SMS message.
        smsMessage.Send();

return;
    }

Author, Hacking the PSP & Geek My Ride
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, May 4, 2009 2:04 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:12 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are already familiar with the API for sending messages.  But you have stated that the event that triggers the sending of the mesage is something that is occurring in a remote database.  It sounds like your mobile device will either need to ocassionally poll the remote database or the remote database will need to be able to notify your application that something has been added.

There's a number of ways to do this, including web services and WCF over e-mail.  If you can provite more information on what you are trying to do the we can give you more fitting information to assist you on your task.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Thanks for yourtime, Joel.
    Lemme be more clear on my requirement.

We are providing a service named "EnrichYourEnglish" to the customer.
    Once customer subscribed, the customer related data will be stored in the database which is in remote server location .

To the new customer, Using windows mobile 6.0 application I have to send a welcome note as a sms .
    For sending sms to a mobile I am using SmsMessage API in windows 6.0 device.

I have to get a event trigger, inorder to send this welcome note sms automatically.
    But dono, how and  where I will get the event based trigger to trigger my mobile application to send the sms.

Note: we need to send only sms not email

Hope Im clear this time.
    Thanks,
    thiru.
    • Edited by thiru.A Monday, April 27, 2009 3:25 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Hi Tiru,

Its bit confusting.

To the new customer, Using windows mobile 6.0 application I have to send a welcome note as a sms .

Do you need send the SMS from you mobile or Server.  When new customer is subscribed then you may need to send the SMS to him?

Or are you using GSM(Windows Mobile device) connected to the server to send the SMSes?

Please explain more clearly

1) From where to where you want to send SMS?
    2) From where user will get subscription( Is it from web application or mobile application
    3) Do you want the event from server side or on Windows Mobile?

Regards,
    Malleswar

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Hi Malleswar,

Lemme keep it simple.
    Here we have an web application, where user can subscribe to the service by providing their mobile number.
    The user mobile number and his information will be stored in the database, lying in the server location.
    Once new user has been added to the database a welcome note has to be send to the new customer mobile number ??
    Jus lemme know how to do that .

We are using GSM data card in the windows mobile to send sms and for data transfer.

Not necessary the sms should be send to the new customer mobile number by using windows mobile only.
    If there is a option to send sms from a desktop using .net web or desktop application, it is still good enough for us.

Thanks,
    thiru.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:32 AM
  • It sounds like you are saying that you have a Windows Mobile phone connected to a server and you want to send the SMS from the server to the customer by using the Windows Mobile Phone that is connected to the server.  Is that correct?
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Dear Joel,

U mean connected in the sense, mobile device connected to the server m/c using cradle??
    If this is your question, my answer is no.

Mobile device is in remote location but having active SIM card.
    So, u can connect to internet for pulling or pushing data and u can able to receive and send sms from the mobile device using the SIM.

Is that my question, hard  to understand??

Regards,
    thiru.
    • Edited by thiru.A Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hi Thiru,

Refer this link, it will answer your questions.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssmartdevicesvbcs/thread/84f8691b-7e40-4300-aab6-50b1517acbec/

Please let me know if you does not suit your requirements or have any queries regarding this.

Regards,
    Malleswar
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 AM
  • >>Is that my question, hard  to understand??

I am afraid so. Your descriptions may lead to confusions. It seems that you want to send an SMS from the Windows Server to a Windows Mobile device; but on the other hand you said:

"We are using GSM data card in the windows mobile to send sms and for data transfer."

How many subjects are involved? One server (Windows Server) and one Windows Mobile device? Or One Server and two Windows Mobile Devices? Who sends the SMS? To who?

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Edited by warrentang Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:10 AM
  • If you want to send an SMS from a Windows Mobile phone, use Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PocketOutlook, and create a new SMS message and use the SMSMessage.Send() method to send it. It's pretty simple :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.windowsmobile.pocketoutlook.smsmessage.send.aspx

Code sample from the above link:

public void SmsMessageSend()
    {
        SmsMessage smsMessage = new SmsMessage();

//Set the message body and recipient.
        smsMessage.Body = "Would you like to meet for lunch?";
        smsMessage.To.Add(new Recipient("John Doe", "2065550199"));
        smsMessage.RequestDeliveryReport = true;

//Send the SMS message.
        smsMessage.Send();

return;
    }