PE Headers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am developing this operating system:

It is a mix from Hybird and Monolithic kernels

and its a 32 bit with a memory manager , floppy disk driver and keyboard driver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I developed it in MSVC2005 "please don't tell me that you can't because it is real"

now the thing that i want is make this operating system execute external programs.

I want some documents about the *.exe extensions (PE) and how to run and  execute it without kill the main Kernel process.

---------------------------------

Thank you in advance

Mohamed Elghamry
    I have 14 years old  "I am not laugh"

-------------------------------

Download Genius Web Explorer , It's free.
      Download Genius Desktop Clock , It's free.
      Download Genius Wallpaper Changer , It's free.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found the following link to be a great reference to the PE format - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301805.aspx

The article has a link to an older version written by the same author which goes into more details.

«_Superman_»
    Microsoft MVP (Visual C++)
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:17 PM
  • PE is not an especially difficult format to parse, or understand in terms of how it should explode into userspace memory, so may be a fine format for your purposes at this stage.  If you are writing a new OS from scratch, though, I'd suggest that you consider how you might care to extend PE or depart from it entirely.

one such reason? EOF data:  PE files may contain an unmapped section, after the end of the declared sections in a file.  This is currently used for a few things; code signing, archive data for installers/self-extractors, etc.  This seems to be a very powerful concept, but one thing that may be worth looking into throwing some structure into this 'end of file' section, such that you can have both an archive and a signature attached to the EOF.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:36 PM
  • That is a very good suggestion.

«_Superman_»
    Microsoft MVP (Visual C++)
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:38 PM
  • In case you didn't see it, there is this discussion that may offer some links of use.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi,

I'm very interested your issue, did you solve your problem?

If so please share the solution with us and mark the right answers.

If not please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Jesse

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, November 1, 2010 3:31 AM