none
What is the specifications involved between Office (Word..) and WSS/MOSS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know the specifications involved when from an Office applications, i save a new document into sharepoint or load a document from a sharepoint document library into Office application ?

What are the specifications ?
    How to get it (links) ?

Thank you
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

• Greetings,
    Sorry this fell into the cracks over the holidays. The way Word engages MOSS depends on the version of Office. There was a confusion between the Open Spec team and the standard SDK team.

Office 2007 uses only webdav protocols to talk to MOSS. You can find the webdav protocol specs here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc341379.aspx
    Previous versions of Office will use either webdav or Frontpage RPC calls depending on which protocol stacks are available.

For information on the Frontpage RPC calls start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954084.aspx

If this doesn't answer your question let me know.

Steve Smegner
    Application Development Consulting Group
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:57 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:41 PM

All replies

•  

I have alerted our Protocols Support team concerning your questions. One of our team members will contact you soon.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    John Dunning
    Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corporation
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:39 PM
  • Could you provide some more detail around your situation? What types of documents are your referring to? When you mean load into an Office application, do you mean something like opening a document visible on a Sharepoint site into Word?

Steve Smegner
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:06 AM
  • That's right, opening a document visible on a sharepoint site into Word and also saving a new document from Word into a sharepoint document library.

Moreover, when i click in the Word Menu "File / Open", i can browse a sharepoint document library, what are the specs of this browsing.

I'm interested in the dialog between Office Application and SharePoint
    - Get this file from sharepoint
    - Save this file to sharepoint
    - Browse the directory of this sharepoint document library

Sharepoint needs the credential of the internet user before opening / saving / browsing a document library, could you point me to the specifications that describe this mechanism.

Thank you
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Hello,

No answer !!!!

I'm NOT interested in Word and MOSS internals, so your coding can be kept secret.

I'm only interested in the dialog between Word (Office application in general) and MOSS to store and retrieve file.

Do you have a link ?

Thank you
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:59 AM
  • Greetings,
    Sorry this fell into the cracks over the holidays. The way Word engages MOSS depends on the version of Office. There was a confusion between the Open Spec team and the standard SDK team.

Office 2007 uses only webdav protocols to talk to MOSS. You can find the webdav protocol specs here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc341379.aspx
    Previous versions of Office will use either webdav or Frontpage RPC calls depending on which protocol stacks are available.

For information on the Frontpage RPC calls start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954084.aspx

If this doesn't answer your question let me know.

Steve Smegner
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Smegner Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:57 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:41 PM