none
How many storage accounts are needed per "application"; Why is 20 the maximum for a paid subscriber?

Question

•  

I'm trying to figure out how to approach development for an application that requires to keep data within geographic boundaries.  So far I think I'll need 4 stores per application.

1) From what I've read, it's a best practice to keep diagnostic logs separate from standard data applications.  

2) In addition, if I want point-in-time backups of my data then I may want a separate account just for backups.  The thought is that I'd backup my Tables and important blobs in a different account, maybe even a different datacenter.

3) Next I may want to have a staging store which  is pre-production, but fully implemented in azure.  Sample model data is stored here.  The thought is that I'd be able to change my storage location just by changing the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg.

4) Lastly I'd have my primary datastore; the most important one.

All 4 of those accounts are linked though Affinity to the relevant Web/Worker roles.  The question I have is when I deploy my application to many geographic locations; I may want 4 stores per site.  Since there are 6 datacenters now, that puts me at 24 stores.

I'm told by support that the maximum number of stores is 20.  Does that mean in order for me to build out my application, I need to have separate LiveID accounts per geographic datacenter?

Lastly, what if my customer demands that their data remain separate from other customers... or for accounting or permission reasons I want to have a different backend store for them.  Why is the limit 20 and what is the best way to address these concerns?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:33 AM

Answers

• I contacted billing and they will not reply to this post, however here is their response:

"I went through the blog and I understand your consideration to have 24 storage accounts. However as of now there is a hard limit on one subscription to have 20 storage accounts at the max. In such a case you may have to purchase a new subscription to have required storage accounts or may consider to redesign the deployment so you can manage in 20 accounts.  

I have seen that you have mentioned your customers request that the data remains separate from other customers. So the best solution viable is to have a new subscription and just use the storage account.  

Please feel free to mail me if you have any further questions."

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:42 AM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi ChrisLaMont,

As I understand you want your customers access your data from nearest datacenter for better speed. you may take a look at Azure CDN

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/cdn/default.aspx

Thanks,

Mog Liang
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:06 AM
  • That is probably a great solution for other people in different situations, but not for my application.

My clients will be uploading 90% of the data for analysis.  Only 10% or less will be downloaded and used with CDN.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:41 AM
  • The following appears on this page:

To obtain other answers to your billing questions, to get assistance with managing your subscription(s), or to request a quota increase; click the Billing Support button below. (my emphasis)

(The button is on the linked page.) In theory, it should be possible to request a storage quota increase.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:58 AM
    Answerer
  • I called that number when I had a default of 5 instances.   I asked for 24 and they said the maximum was 20 per subscriber.

This limitation is what caused this question.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Hi Chris,

For subscription and billing related question, it's not easy to get answered from forum. I still encourage you contacting the live site support to work out a solution.

Thanks,

Mog Liang
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:33 AM
  • I contacted billing and they will not reply to this post, however here is their response:

"I went through the blog and I understand your consideration to have 24 storage accounts. However as of now there is a hard limit on one subscription to have 20 storage accounts at the max. In such a case you may have to purchase a new subscription to have required storage accounts or may consider to redesign the deployment so you can manage in 20 accounts.  

I have seen that you have mentioned your customers request that the data remains separate from other customers. So the best solution viable is to have a new subscription and just use the storage account.  

Please feel free to mail me if you have any further questions."

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:42 AM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:17 PM