none
How to add out-of-box drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm installing WES 2011 CTP2 on EeePC T91. 
    Created PMQ file and imported into ICE, most devices have in-box drivers assigned, but some don't. 
    I copied the missing drivers (inf and sys files) into the out-of-box drivers folder in the distribution share and added them to Pass 5 driver path. 

When Windows is installed these drivers are not installed for the required devices. 

Am I missing some configuration or am I doing something wrong? What's the correct way to install out-of-box drivers? 

Thanks, 

Yev
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Yev,

The easiest way to include out-of-box drivers is to use Create IBW Disk from Answer File option on the Tools|Media Creation menu.  With this option, you can generate a bootable disk (UFD, DVD etc.) with the distribution share and your out-of-box drivers included in the media.  Then you boot from the disk that you created, go through a few selections in IBW and the packages and drivers that you've added in ICE will be installed.

Regarding out-of-box drivers, have you tried adding the drivers to the WinPE pass (1) or Offline Servicing (2) passes?  If you add drivers in the WinPE pass, IBW will try to install the drivers in that pass.  However, if the driver installation fails, the runtime installation will fail.  If you're sure the drivers are valid for your device, you can use this method.  If you're not sure whether the drivers are valid for your device or not, you can try installing in Offline Servicing pass (2).  In this case, DISM will attempt to install the drivers and if the driver installation fails, IBW will not fail and the runtime installation will proceed.  The drivers will be staged to <systemroot>\windows\system32\driverstore.

Hope it helps.  Thanks for trying CTP2 and let us know if you have further questions.

Ivan
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Thanks for reply!

I have created IBW disk from answer file but still did not help.

My issue is that one driver is a system driver for ACPI and the others are device drivers for USB devices that will be connected later so they are not present on the system during the setup.
    Another driver is the video driver which is signed and is 100% the correct driver.

Now, as I understand, adding the drivers to Pass 1 will load the drivers in the WinPE image which is not required and will not persists on the actual install.
    And from what I read in the help file, I should add the drivers to pass 5 but I don't really know the difference between adding them to Pass 2 and Pass 5.
    Anyway, I've tried adding them to both Passes and still did not work.

Can you tell me which log file is related to this? Is it one of the panther logs?

Thanks,

Yev
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:36 PM
  • This TechNet article should help you get more familiarized with the passes related to driver install.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766485(WS.10).aspx

It'd be great if you could share your panther logs and the answer file that you used.

Thanks,
    Ivan
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:51 PM
  • I should add that the TechNet article I mentioned was for Windows AIK.  The concepts of various passes are the same but the steps to add drivers are not the same (although very similar) to the steps used in ICE.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:55 PM
  • One more comment.  If you use AuditSystem pass to add your drivers, make sure you're following this step mentioned in the TechNet article (after IBW finishes).  Adding drivers to auditSystem pass in ICE simply tells IBW that the answer file needs to be cached to the system so the settings in the answer file can be applied when audit mode is actually being run.
    -----

Log on to Windows and run audit mode by using Sysprep. For example:
    sysprep /audit /reboot
    Windows reboots to audit mode. Before the user logs on, device drivers specified in the answer file are added to Windows.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the help!

I've managed to make it work by adding the drivers to both offlineServicing and auditSystem.
    These drivers are not critical for the boot of the system and thus should not be installed in pass 2 but it seems that if I install them in only one of the passes then they do not get installed.

I will try to modify the configuration to install the drivers in each of the passes separately and see if it works.

Regarding the log files, I don't have them right now since I reinstalled the system.

Yev
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

I am running into the same issue. I added the ot of box driver under offline servicing phase and created IBW image from answer file. Copied the image to a USB and tried booting from USB. The installation goes fine however the driver does not get installed. I have copied the relevant log from the setupapi.dev.log. However after the installation completes if I do update driver from device manager and point the location to the USB. The driver gets installed. Any help is highly appreciated

>>>  [Setup online Device Install (Hardware initiated) - pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&subsys_00008086&rev_04\3&33fd14ca&0&c8]
    >>>  Section start 2012/03/31 00:11:47.625
         ump: Creating Install Process: DrvInst.exe 00:11:47.625
         ndv: Retrieving device info...
         ndv: Setting device parameters...
         ndv: Searching Driver Store and Device Path...
         dvi: {Build Driver List} 00:11:47.640
         dvi:      Searching for hardware ID(s):
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&subsys_00008086&rev_04
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&subsys_00008086
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&cc_020000
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&cc_0200
         dvi:      Searching for compatible ID(s):
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501&rev_04
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&dev_1501
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&cc_020000
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086&cc_0200
         dvi:           pci\ven_8086
         dvi:           pci\cc_020000
         dvi:           pci\cc_0200
         cpy:      Policy is set to make all digital signatures equal.
         dvi:      Enumerating INFs from path list 'C:\Windows\inf'
         inf:      Searched 0 potential matches in published INF directory
         inf:      Searched 18 INFs in directory: 'C:\Windows\inf'
         dvi: {Build Driver List - exit(0x00000000)} 00:11:48.375
         ndv: Selecting best match from Driver Store (including Device Path)...
         dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV} 00:11:48.437
         dvi:      No class installer for 'Ethernet Controller'
         dvi:      No CoInstallers found
         dvi:      Default installer: Enter 00:11:48.437
         dvi:           {Select Best Driver}
    !    dvi:                Selecting driver failed(0xe0000228)
         dvi:           {Select Best Driver - exit(0xe0000228)}
    !    dvi:      Default installer: failed!
    !    dvi:      Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.
         dvi: {DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV - exit(0xe0000228)} 00:11:48.484
         ndv: Waiting for previous device install to complete. 00:11:48.484
         ndv: {Core Device Install} 00:11:49.640
    !    ndv:      Installing NULL driver!
         dvi:      Set selected driver complete.
         dvi:      {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL} 00:11:49.875
         dvi:           No class installer for 'Ethernet Controller'
         dvi:           Default installer: Enter 00:11:49.875
         dvi:           Default installer: Exit
         dvi:      {DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL - exit(0xe000020e)} 00:11:49.875
         dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 00:11:49.875
         dvi:           No class installer for 'Ethernet Controller'
         dvi:           Default installer: Enter 00:11:49.890
    !    dvi:                Installing NULL driver!
         dvi:                Writing common driver property settings.
         dvi:                {Restarting Devices} 00:11:49.906
         dvi:                     Restart: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1501&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_04\3&33FD14CA&0&C8
         dvi:                     Restart complete.
         dvi:                {Restarting Devices exit} 00:11:50.046
         dvi:           Default installer: Exit
         dvi:      {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000000)} 00:11:50.046

Thanks,

Windows Embedded Programmer

Monday, April 2, 2012 10:04 PM