unspecified error on open solution in visual studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to open solution in Visual Studio 2012 RTM I see 'Unspecified error' message on some projects initializing.

How can I see more info about this error?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:50 PM

Answers

• I managed to find a solution that works for us. Having tried safe mode, and attaching another VS instance to debug - and getting nowhere, it occurred to me the only difference between my main solution that errors, and other that don't is source control (TFS 11 in this case).

So, I unbound the projects (select solution file, then File -> Source Control -> Advanced -> Change Source Control), and then rebound them. They now appear to be complete fine.

I don't know if this was an ordering thing (TFS/ VS Beta to RC, and then RTM), or it was just a bad upgrade but it now seems fine.

Thanks,

Kieron

• Proposed as answer by b33rdy Monday, August 20, 2012 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mukminoff Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:44 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Some project types are no longer supported so you can get this message.  This includes setup projects and any database projects not created using SSDT.  It will also include any project types that ship outside VS as they most likely don't recognize VS2012 as it hasn't been released yet. 

Additionally when you open the solution the first time you'll get an upgrade log.  You should look at the log to see what errors were generated.

Michael Taylor - 6/3/2012
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:20 PM

All replies

• There is no RTM version of Visual Studio 2012.

Try re-installing the RC version of Visual Studio 2012.

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Yes, it's my mistake. Any way, there is only one 2012 version of Visual Studio. I just installed Visual Studio. Why I need to re-install it again?

p.s. I tried to re-install. Error message is still shown.
    • Edited by Mukminoff Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:26 AM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:25 AM
  • I meant repair Visual Studio.

Open event viewer to check for application errors.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Some project types are no longer supported so you can get this message.  This includes setup projects and any database projects not created using SSDT.  It will also include any project types that ship outside VS as they most likely don't recognize VS2012 as it hasn't been released yet. 

Additionally when you open the solution the first time you'll get an upgrade log.  You should look at the log to see what errors were generated.

Michael Taylor - 6/3/2012

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:20 PM
  • There is no errors in upgrade log. I hope this messages is RC limitations only.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Does the error appears when you open some Solutions or to all Solutions? Could you tell use what solutions fail to open (C#, BI, ...)?

If it happens for only some solutions then it is what CoolDadTx mentioned. But, if it happens to all your solutions, then it is problem with your VS.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:40 PM
  • It happens with several projects in some solution only. It is C# projects solution with web application. Message popups many times on some projects initializing (not all projects). Types of projects is different:

- Class Library

- Silverlight Class Library

- Silverlight Application.

Build and Run works fine. Web Application based on MVC 3. Silverlight version: 5.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Well we can only hope that it is a bug with the RC version of Visual Studio 2012. We hope it gets fixed in RTM.
    Friday, July 6, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Unfortunately, I can confirm this still occurs in the RTM version.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:56 PM
  • I'm getting this as well on RTM.  20 prompts on solution load is awesome.  The worst part is the fact it gives you no explanation and I haven't found a way yet to determine what is causing it.
    • Edited by Adam Love Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:10 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Well, we upgrade our Silverlight project's version to 5 version and error disappear after that.
    • Edited by Mukminoff Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:33 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Unfortunately, all our Silverlight projects were already using version 5.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:49 PM
  • The upgrade log will contain an entry for each project and it should indicate why it couldn't be upgraded.  Generally it says something about project type not supported.  This occurs frequently when you're using project types that shipped after VS 2010.  Examples would include newer versions of ASP.NET MVC, Silverlight, reporting projects, etc.  Often times you can generate a new project of the same type, open the project file in a text editor and compare the project type GUIDs to what your original project contained.  There is generally one of the GUIDs that is often that causes VS to fail to load it.

Michael Taylor - 8/16/2012

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:02 PM
  • CoolDadTx, there is no upgarde error. VS don't fail to load projects. It's just alert "Unspecified error" and load it.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:08 AM
  • So you get an error message but all projects load successfully?  Have you tried running in safemode?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:35 AM
  • I have the same problem.

I have a lot of different projects and suddenly I get the error from one day to another. I get 30 error popups before the project is opening. I want to try the safemode way but where can I find that?

My solution file and one web project file is also checked out when I open the solution. 

Delete the whole solution from the harddisk won't work.

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Start VS with /safemode to run in safe mode.  If that doesn't work then open up VS but don't load the solution, open a new instance of VS and attach to the first instance, then load your solution in the first instance.  You should get some exception messages.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:14 PM
  • I've tried attaching to VS (admittedly, only when I was running the RC) - but got no exception details at all.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 9:13 AM
  • I managed to find a solution that works for us. Having tried safe mode, and attaching another VS instance to debug - and getting nowhere, it occurred to me the only difference between my main solution that errors, and other that don't is source control (TFS 11 in this case).

So, I unbound the projects (select solution file, then File -> Source Control -> Advanced -> Change Source Control), and then rebound them. They now appear to be complete fine.

I don't know if this was an ordering thing (TFS/ VS Beta to RC, and then RTM), or it was just a bad upgrade but it now seems fine.

Thanks,

Kieron

• Proposed as answer by b33rdy Monday, August 20, 2012 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mukminoff Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:44 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Glad to hear that you got it resolved.  What I am concerned about though is your Beta, RC to RTM path.  The RTM specifically said it wasn't supported on machines with Beta or RC installed.  Personally I got it to work but I had to literally clean the installation manually.  Otherwise I got installation errors.  If you didn't manually clean both the Beta and RC then you have rogue entries in the registry and elsewhere that will cause problems with RTM.  I found entries such that packages would get loaded multiple times and/or conflict with each other.  Just a warning and, perhaps, explanation as to what is going on. 

Michael Taylor - 8/20/2012

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Well, I didn't have any previous versions of 2012 before the release installed and had the same issue.  I did the same thing as Kieron (unbound all projects and the solution) and the problem is resolved.  A bug with the VS solution upgrade for sure.  Thanks Kieron!
    Monday, August 20, 2012 2:37 PM
  • When I inspected the changed projects, following the unbind/ rebind - the following elements in the csproj file has more explicit entries in them:

<SccProjectName>SAK</SccProjectName>
        <SccLocalPath>SAK</SccLocalPath>
        <SccAuxPath>SAK</SccAuxPath>
        <SccProvider>SAK</SccProvider>

So, instead of having the value of 'SAK', they had real values in them. Very strange indeed.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:40 PM
  • No problem, just happy we've found the solution. One of our bigger solutions had 63 projects in it!
    Monday, August 20, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I noticed some additional IISExpress properties.  Not sure what causes the errors though.  We have 103 projects in ours. ;)
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Thank you, Kieron!

It works!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Thank you for the solution !

It also worked for me.

BUT, after unbind all projects i had to quit visual studio. And again after rebinding the projects. Now all projects load fine !

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:20 PM