Multiple Users on our domain are complaining that after they logout or switch to a new user the mouse becomes disabled and the mouse arrow centers in the middle of the screen. They then must either restart the machine using the power button or by unplugging and then replugging in the mouse. The keyboard does not become disabled.
Mouse Specific Problem = No. We checked the mouse in question. We take the mouse to a new machine on the domain, but not on the same subnet and test the process and cannot reproduce. We have used both ball and optical mice on this system and the problem reproduces.
Mouse Detection Error = No. Mouse is detected in device manager and no errors or unknowns reported.
Port Specific Problem = No. We checked ports to see if the error produces itself when plugged in other USB ports. The error does reproduce.
PC Specific Problem = No. We physically took the machine in question with monitor, keyboard, mouse, and cables back to our central location on a different subnet. Using the users login and password we cannot reproduce the problem. After giving the user a new machine with a new image the problem reproduces itself at the location. Problem is also occurring independent of the Dell model used.
User specific Problem = No. Many users amongst multiple facilities are experiencing the problem, yet not all users experiencing the problem or at least are not reporting the problem.
Network-wide Problem=No. Most of the subnets at these facilties on the domain, except one, are experiencing the problem. Problem is currently on six of our 7 subnets.
Group Policy Problem = Do not believe so. We have delved into our group policies line by line to see if there were any associated keys or policies that may be affecting the mouse or power to the USB. We have not found any policy pointing to this. Also, the same policy is applying to all seven of our subnets, yet the problem is on six.
Steps to reproduce:
- Computer boots and comes to Network Logon.
- User Pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL and enters logon information and hits enter.
- System loads users profile with folder redirection enabled.
- User logs off or switches user.
- Monitor blanks and then comes to Network logon.
- User Presses CTRL-ALT-DEL.
Mouse arrow is now centered at logon screen and does not move.
We believe that there may be some issue in either power management configuration or with the HIDUSB.sys driver causing the issue. Since the issue is only located on certain subnets we thought that a group policy that is being distributed may be the issue, but since it is not affecting everyone on the subnet and the same policy is applying to other subnets that are not having the issue, we are leery to take the local server down or redo all of our group policies and containers yet. Also if the computers are taken out of the OU the problem
Recent Attempts to Fix
We have attempted all the fixes suggested in the articles http://windows7themes.net/mouse-not-working-after-hibernation.html, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930091, http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html , and http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-fr-windows-vista-general/460788-vista-usb-mouse-freezes-fix-windows-7-a.html, yet the problem still persists.
We have a checked event viewer and checked for errors, ran a logman trace on the USB, and ran Perfomance Analyzer with rebootcycle traces. We cannot find anything that points to the issue.
Is there a USB trace that can be performed using xbootmgr,logman or some other utlitity that can capture what is occuring only after a domain user logs off and a new/same user logs back in? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
- Edited by OMES IT WOO JDH Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:08 PM Increase in number of users affected
It was a group policy created by an old admin that was linked to my ADUC "users" organizational unit. The admin had created a Security Group name 'authorized users' and added all of my sites user accounts to it, then he applied the group to the 'Security Filtering' of that group policy.
Then he removed the default 'Authenticated Users' group from the group policy. <--- That was the key mistake.
I removed 'authorized users' from 'Security Filtering' of that group policy, added 'Authenticated Users'; forced a GP update on all my computers and... Bob's your uncle! :-)
- Edited by Tony the ITiger Monday, July 06, 2015 6:55 PM