What's the status on SDK for Windows 10 store apps?

Question

• So I've been out of the loop for a while, developing *cough* Android, but the release preview of Windows 10 has gotten me interested in Windows Store app for desktop again. So my question is tihs: Can I start developing Windows Store apps (Modern) now? Is there an SDK and/or Visual Studio build (if I need it) out? If not, has there been any news on it - any release date?

Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:40 AM

Answers

• Basically the preview now is only for system features and they anounced that the news for Developers will arrive at  //Build next year (in April). I guess it's safe to assume that anything you build for Windows 8.1 now will still work on Windows 10. So if you run VS2013 Update 2 (or higher - right now Update 3 is the newest one that's released as stable) you should be set to go (there also is an Express version available that supports this).

If you want to know about new features coming in Windows 10 then unfortunately the answer right now is: nothing new here. Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by FrodeNilsen2 Monday, October 6, 2014 7:59 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:27 PM

All replies

• The only information available is in the following blog. We don't have any other information available at this time.

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/09/30/universal-windows-apps-get-better-with-windows-10/

Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Basically the preview now is only for system features and they anounced that the news for Developers will arrive at  //Build next year (in April). I guess it's safe to assume that anything you build for Windows 8.1 now will still work on Windows 10. So if you run VS2013 Update 2 (or higher - right now Update 3 is the newest one that's released as stable) you should be set to go (there also is an Express version available that supports this).

If you want to know about new features coming in Windows 10 then unfortunately the answer right now is: nothing new here. Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by FrodeNilsen2 Monday, October 6, 2014 7:59 AM
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Thanks.. I realize the release of Windows 10 is further away than I though, given that the devs won't get the tools before April 2015.

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:05 AM