Android Device Log issues RRS feed

• Question

• User193500 posted

I am having trouble with the Android Device Log (logcat) viewer. It never seems to be up to date. I'll connect my device, and choose it from the dropdown, and there will be no entries showing. If I wait awhile and come back to it, I may then see a bunch of entries, but the newest one will be anywhere from a couple hours old to a day old. If I wait longer, I may get some new entries that are maybe 20 minutes old.

Questions:

1) The this window supposed to be fairly real-time? If so, what could the problem be?

2) Is there a way to manually refresh the window so that I get the most recent entries? According to this web page, there should be a refresh icon, but mine does not have one:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:32 PM

All replies

• User318788 posted

Hi @JosephMartinez,

Make sure none of the columns o f your logcat viewer window has filters (this happens all the time. :smile: )

Check every column's header like below:

Hope it helps.

Regards, N Baua

Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:07 AM
  • User904 posted

According to this web page, there should be a refresh icon, but mine does not have one

You're looking at new unified device log window, it does not have a refresh button. The screenshot in the documentation is quite old

Could you check if adb logcat and logs in the window are in sync? It's probably a if they are not in sync

Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:00 AM
  • User193500 posted

@N_Baua ,

I checked, and all of the columns have "Select All" and all the other boxes checked.

@prashantvc ,

adb logcat displays everything in real time, with many new messages per second, always up to date. The Device Log window only displays messages in bursts, and always very much behind.

-Joe

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:23 PM
  • User904 posted

that's rather strange! Could you file a bug report at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug ? So we can track it :)

Friday, August 18, 2017 8:18 AM