none
Behaviour of Quick Find in VS2015 Community suddenly changed

Question

• Using Visual Studio 2015 Community version with Windows 10....

The Quick Find dialog sits in the top left-hand corner of the IDE client window. It does not have captions and borders and is much smaller than the traditional Find and Find & Replace dialogs in older versions of Visual Studio.

I have been using VS2015 community version for about 6 months. A couple of days ago it stopped launching a search on single key press. Now I have to press Enter (CRLF) to make the IDE search.

How can I get the search on key press back? And what could have stopped it working?
    Inadvertently, pressing the wrong key or command???
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi kenresander,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For question 1 about the Quick Find dialog :

Try to reproduce this issue, I compare the VS 2015 Quick Find dialog with vs 2013:

(1) VS 2015:

(2)vs 2013:

They are the same size actually, so how about telling us the older versions of Visual Studio you point to?

If you think that this dialog is much smaller, currently we could stretch width of this dialog by dragging the left border-bottom.

Meanwhile,  I have submit this suggestion about enlarging the Quick Find Dialog to  UserVoice, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, please see the following thread:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/16720897-enlarge-the-quick-find-dialog-of-the-vs-2015-commu

For question 2:

How can I get the search on key press back? And what could have stopped it working?

By default we press "Ctrl+F" to open the Search dialog, there could be some compatibility between VS and third-party add-inns. I suggest you can try some devenv switches in command prompt check if it can help you:

a. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that   third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    b. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    c. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.

If the above still no help, I suggest you go to Control Panel to repair your VS again.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:38 AM
  • Hi kenresander,

To have a much clean understanding of your question, one more clarification with you:

The traditional Find and Find & Replace dialogs you mentioned is the following one or the dialog in my previous reply?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:43 AM