developer vs product key RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I was wondering…

We already have our prod sql installed… I wanted to install a local copy on my laptop, just to play around myself.

What’s the difference between choosing ‘developer’ or just using the product key we bought for prod? I mean in case of any audit; it can be seen, clearly, that I am the only user.

• Moved by Tom Phillips Friday, April 13, 2018 1:34 PM Setup question
    Friday, April 13, 2018 9:53 AM

Answers

• What’s the difference between choosing ‘developer’ or just using the product key we bought for prod? I mean in case of any audit; it can be seen, clearly, that I am the only user.

The Developer edition is free and licensed for non-production use. Since Developer edition has all the features of Enterprise, why would you want to install Standard or Enterprise to play on your laptop? Otherwise, you'll need to pay for an additional server license.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by maca128 Friday, April 20, 2018 9:19 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2018 11:14 AM

All replies

• With a product key you are allowed to install SQL Server on one machine, not on more, also not just for testing.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, April 13, 2018 9:57 AM
  • If you are thinking that with single key you can install SQl server on many machines then you are wrong its license violation assuming you purchased it for selected cores and for one server. Please go ahead and install DEV edition and use it only for development work

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, April 13, 2018 10:30 AM
  • What’s the difference between choosing ‘developer’ or just using the product key we bought for prod? I mean in case of any audit; it can be seen, clearly, that I am the only user.

The Developer edition is free and licensed for non-production use. Since Developer edition has all the features of Enterprise, why would you want to install Standard or Enterprise to play on your laptop? Otherwise, you'll need to pay for an additional server license.

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by maca128 Friday, April 20, 2018 9:19 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2018 11:14 AM