none
If I change the size of the pagefile, can I expect to free up disk space? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 from a VHD (booting on VHD). I've been running out of diskspace, and thought I'd move the pagefile to an other drive, and set the pagefile on the C: drive to 500 MB. The original pagefile was 8 GB, so I was expecting to free up some 7 GB, but the free space on the disk remains the same.

Is there anything else I need to do, or have I missunderstod something?

Thanks
    //Mikael
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so... Mikael - http://blogical.se/blogs/mikael
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:35 PM

Answers

• With Windows 7 or 2008 R2 you can open the vhd file from the disk managment under storage in the server manager, I would open the VHD that is causing the problems and temporarly copy som files off and see if some extra free space will allow the pagefile to shrink.

You can also use the virutal disk tools to make it bigger if that would help/

Bill Chesnut BizTalk Server MVP Melbourne Australia
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:27 PM

All replies

• Are you running out of space in the VHD that you are booting from or on the base c: drive which would show up as d: when you are inside the booted VHD?

I have found that when you use boot from VHD it expands the booted VHD to it max size while it is running, which for me caused issues on the base c: drive.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Hi Bill, nice to see you again... ;)

I think I'm exeriancing the same problem. The C: volume (VHD) is all full, and this is why I moved the pagefile.

//Mikael

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so... Mikael - http://blogical.se/blogs/mikael
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:12 PM
  • With Windows 7 or 2008 R2 you can open the vhd file from the disk managment under storage in the server manager, I would open the VHD that is causing the problems and temporarly copy som files off and see if some extra free space will allow the pagefile to shrink.

You can also use the virutal disk tools to make it bigger if that would help/

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:27 PM