Site publishing settings get wiped! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've had a few sites in Expression Web 4 that worked great, published, and have been shelved since the projects were completed.

Today I went to open an old site (created under EW4) and just wanted to make a simple change, and publish that change. Made the change, went to publish and all my publish sites are gone. Strange..

So I go to add the settings again for my WebDAV servers. It lets me add the information, but when I close the publishing settings dialogue, nothing is saved. No matter how many times I enter the information, the settings are not saved into the site -- it always shows no defined publishing destinations.

I tried creating a brand-new site and was able to enter publishing settings, so it's obviously something wrong with the particular site configuration.

Anyone have any pointers as to how I can enter the publishing settings into the site, or reset the configuration file so that it lets me once again enter publishing settings?

Thanks in advance!

\marc

Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:48 PM

All replies

• Interesting.

I had just installed Windows 7 SP1 before opening the site, and thought maybe...

So I rolled back the service pack, and -- everything works again! It even brought back my old site publishing settings.

So there is some sort of incompatibility with Expression Web 4 and Win7 SP1, in a very odd way in that it only affected my one site configuration.

Anyone seen anything like this?

\marc

Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Virtually no one, and none of the regular contributors, to my knowledge, uses WebDAV here. And we are volunteer users of the program, not MS employees, so we have no knowledge of possible consequences of installing a Service Pack. Might want to ask in a WebDAV forum (if one exists) or an MS Systems forum.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Virtually no one, and none of the regular contributors, to my knowledge, uses WebDAV here. And we are volunteer users of the program, not MS employees, so we have no knowledge of possible consequences of installing a Service Pack. Might want to ask in a WebDAV forum (if one exists) or an MS Systems forum.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

But it's not the type of publishing that's at issue here. I couldn't set ANY publishing settings. I tried adding ANY type of publishing server. The result was that anything I added or changed got wiped upon closing the dialogue box, as if EW4 didn't have permission to modify whatever metadata file was storing the settings.

Removing the service pack gave EW4 the ability to do whatever it was that it needed to do to access and edit publishing settings.

My question is, where are those settings stored (obviously not in the site directory in my home area), and what about the service pack made EW4 unable to read or write them?

\marc

Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:37 PM
  • My question is, where are those settings stored (obviously not in the site directory in my home area),

Who knows? Steve might, if he comes upon this. Maybe. Let me try this again—we are NOT Microsoft technicians. We are not Microsoft employees of any kind. We are volunteers, users of the program. We have no more knowledge of the internal workings and mechanisms of EW than you do. Capisc'?

and what about the service pack made EW4 unable to read or write them?

We are also not Microsoft Systems designers or implementers. We have no idea what went into the SP, nor if or how it might interact with EW. You know exactly as much about that as we do, which is pretty much zilch. Got it?

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Got it, loud and clear.

I was actually just looking for some brainstorming, not asking for a Microsoft employee to chime in. I know it's a user-participating forum. I know who's here.

For anyone reading this in the future, my particular issue was solved by rolling back SP1. Could be something unique to my system or site configuration (probably was), and I'll install SP1 again after this project is done.

\marc
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Running Win 7 64bit, SP 1 and no problems with pubishing or retaining mys setting but I've never every used WebDav for publishing.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:35 PM