none
is python (run as a separate "server" process) allowed in windows 8.1 store apps?

Question

• Hi,

I have a python app that runs on a server with an iOS client UI, and I was thinking of making a windows Modern UI app to do the work of the iOS client,

and then have a "server" component run on the user's (local) machine in python.  So rather than the windows

modern UI communicating with a remote server, it would communicate with a python-based process running on the local machine.

Is this type of architecture allowed in Windows Store apps?

For reference, the iOS app is:  https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/market-vector-auto-regression/id824381825?mt=8

I am thinking of this for Windows8.1 deployment, not Windows Phone or RT.

What about a situation where the app runs (by default) by connecting to my existing remote server, but allows the user to download a separate sever component Not from the store (the aforementioned Python component), to allow local running of the app if he wants?  (E.g. set up by a Setup or Preferences window).  So, formally, the Windows Store app would not have any python in it in this case.

I suppose that all of this would be possible if I made a regular Windows installable software package (not thru the App Store).

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:24 PM

Answers

• No. Windows Store apps must run standalone and cannot depend on or communicate directly with other processes on the system.

You would need to include the python functionality within your app rather than externally. I am not aware of a python implementation which supports Windows Store apps.

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Friday, March 21, 2014 5:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by diffent Friday, March 21, 2014 5:59 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 5:35 PM