none
Share SharePoint on-premise site to external users via SharePoint online (O365) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for solution to make an on-premise SharePoint site available to external users via SharePoint online. Or maybe creating two separate team sites for internal and external collaboration as it should be synchronized with external site when there is change on internal content.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Ash

Monday, May 20, 2019 4:16 AM

Answers

• Sure Lisa, I will mark it as an answer once I have more information on A2.

No I am not a developer, but basically you would be doing a continuously migration of documents from one farm to another.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hiya

Q1: "I am looking for solution to make an on-premise SharePoint site available to external users via SharePoint online".
    A1: That is not possible.

Q2: "Or maybe creating two separate team sites for internal and external collaboration as it should be synchronized with external site when there is change on internal content"
    A2: This could be possible, but you would not retain any SharePoint features, traceability etc. The two farms would be disconnected, thus not able to share any information across. (Metadata, user information, revision history etc.)

Sounds more like you should be looking into making the SharePoint on-premise site available to external users, through federation, either with Microsoft or external clients separately.

Monday, May 20, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Thanks Jesper. Much appreciated for reply.

Can you refer any implementation guide/link on A2 above. We should be able to use MS federation service if A2 is viable. Thanks,

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:23 PM
  • You can use Azure B2B but you have to convert your Web Apps to SAML. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/using-azure-ad-for-sharepoint-server-authentication. I do not recommend this as it will prevent you from using Search Hybrid.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Hi AshwaniSrivastava,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:12 AM

No I am not a developer, but basically you would be doing a continuously migration of documents from one farm to another.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:38 AM