none
Subscription expiration notification (or lack of it) RRS feed

• Question

• HI There 

My MSDN subscription has expired and I never received any notification or reminder of any sorts. I understand that I probably should have kept track of the date myself, but this is a costly mistake on my part. 

My question is: Considering the cost of those subscriptions,  should I have received such a notification few weeks or few days before it expires or the lack of communication is deliberate ? 

What is MS policy about that?

Thanks

Chris

• Edited by cgoasduff Monday, April 15, 2013 10:46 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 10:45 AM

Answers

• Hey Christophe,

aven't' heard back from you in a couple of days so I'm going to mark this as answered.  if you come back and want to talk about this more, go ahead and unmark this as answered and then post a reply.

Thanks!
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• anyone from MS please ?
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hey Chris,

Sorry I had a reply typed up yesterday but wanted to wait until I heard back from a few peopole internally, but it turns out they had the same questions as I did.

First of all, it is absolutely in our best interest to make sure you renew.  It sounds like you've had a bad experience with us or with Microsoft in general in the past, and I'm sorry about that.  We want you happy with us, and we want you renewing so that we keep you as a subscriber.

it depends on a few things, but the renewal reminders are in email, and you generally get one a month or two before you expire, and then again a week or two before, and then I wouldnt' be surprised if there's one more.  There is also a grace period where you can still get renewal pricing even after your subscription expires.  If you haven't contacted MSDN Subscriptions Customer Service, you should do so as they'll be able to discuss your options with you.  They're available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

I used the word "generally" a few times in the previous paragraph because it actually depends on what type of subscription you have.  What I mean by that is if you have a retail subscription, then it definitely happens.  If you have a Volume LIcnese subscription, because your company has purchased the subscription, the reminder process likely also includes your volume license manager.

Have you checked your spam folders for email?  do you have any alternate email addresses you might have used when you signed up that reminder mails went to?

What type of subscription do you have?  Do not put your entire Subscriber ID here in the forum, but does it start with MVL (if so, it is a volume license subscription)?

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

Thank you for taking the time to my concern. 

I have contacted customer services who took a pretty hard stance on the matter and basically told me in a nutshell that it was my responsibility to keep an eye on the subscription expiry date and to act before it expires or during the grace period.

They are aware that no reminder was sent, the reason for that is that I didn't purchase the subscription from Microsoft directly but from a third party. 

I am extremely annoyed at this (not very good) answer. My details being in the MSDN user database, I am not too sure why buying a product  from one source or another make any difference in the level of support. Any decent CRM can cope with this scenario. 

When I asked if this difference of treatment whas highlighted in a user agreement, I was told "Not to my knowledge".

I suggested  paying the full renewal fee which would effectively starts when my last one expired, but it was deemed not acceptable.

I do love MS technology and passionate about .Net, but the lack of flexibility for what was a honest mistake on my part coupled with what I think is a pretty poor excuse for not notifying me from MS makes me feel disappointed with the service.

Mike if you can think of another avenue, please get in touch.

Thanks 

Christophe

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Hey Christophe,

sorry about the frustration here.  I'll bet that was an annoying answer.  If you could tell me who you talked with (I  understand its hard to remember), or at least what customer service team you talked to when you did, it would help me reach down to the support teams and make sure we're giving out the right answers to customers, but it does depend on how long its been since your subscription lapsed.   

I'm not confident that the answer you were given was correct, that purchasing through third parties means you don't get reminder emails.   Most of the subscriptions we sell are purchased through third parties, and so the system should be set up to send reminder emails to you as well.  

I'd like to work with you directly over email to address your concerns.  What this will let us do is work with your account information (we can't share it publicly here), but then frustrations you've experienced wont be in public, and I dont know what the ultimate resolution will be.  There is a grace period for renewal but it sounds like you're outside that renewal period.  If you were to renew, it would only be effective for one year past your expiration date.  I don't know what your situation is, but it may not be cost effective for you to renew.  For example if you were only going to get another half of a year (for instance) on your active subscription, for 70%% of the retail price, the renewal discount might not be worth it this time around.  But again I don't know what your situation is so I'd like you to reach out to me over email.

To reach out to me over email click the site feedback link at the very bottom of the page here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions.  This will open a form for you to submit feedback.  Please put a link to this thread in that form, and that will form will put an email into my inbox.  Ill reply to you individually and I can see whats what, see who you talked to in the call center, and see when you shuold've gotten reminder emails.  

Let me say one more thing, and thats that we do take customer privacy seriously.  While it might mean more dollars for microsoft as a whole for, say, the Office team to start trying to sell you Office 365 if you were to download Office from MSDN, we don't let the office team get your contact information to do so.  In that way, we don't let random staff at microsoft look up your subscription information just because you've posted on the forums.  I can't look up your subscription info just because you've posted here as cgoasduff.   I can try but I will get a "You dont have permissions" error because of where I sit in the organization.  I hear what you're saying about CRM systems, but this is the choice we've made as a company to protect our customers.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hey Christophe,

aven't' heard back from you in a couple of days so I'm going to mark this as answered.  if you come back and want to talk about this more, go ahead and unmark this as answered and then post a reply.

Thanks!
    Mike

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:35 PM
  • Hi Mike 

I have just emailed you, and indeed, you can mark this as answer.

Thank you for your help

Chris

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:29 AM