none
Silverlight and MS Excel PowerView

Question

• Hi
    I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 installed on a windows 7, 64 bit machine.
    I have the add ins PowerPivot and PowerView enabled in Excel.
    To use PowerView it is required to have installed Silverlight 5.
    I have Silverlight 5, but I experience timeout and PowerView error. When I reinstall Silverlight, PowerView is working, but only for a while.
    I have found that a registry object called AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps must have value 1 for Silverlight to work with Power View. Menu path in regedit is HKLM \ Software \ Wow6432Node \ Microsoft \ Silverlight \ AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustedApps. I set the value to 1, but the value is automatically reset to 0 when I restart the PC. Why is this happening? Could it have with Group policies and my user rights to do?
    Does anyone have a solution or tip to get this solved?

Regards
    Tommy

Monday, April 14, 2014 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to refer to the following to uninstall and reinstall the Silverlight again.
    #How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then reinstall Silverlight:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608523/en-us .

#Fixing a Corrupted Silverlight Installation:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webapps/archive/2013/05/10/fixing-a-corrupted-silverlight-installation.aspx .

Then please try to set the
    HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Silverlight\AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustedApps value to 1 again.

And for the user rights about the registry key, please try to check this article:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/77878/take-ownership-of-or-assign-full-permission-for-a-registry-key-in-windows-7/ .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:10 AM
  • Hi Amy

Thank you for trying to help.

I have checked the Group Policy for Silverlight. We do not have any Group Policy on Silverlight.

I have also been assigned the full ownership of Silverlight in the registry.

I see that Silverlight setting of AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps changes to 0 after a few minutes even though I do not perform any operations on the machine.
    I have used FixIt to ensure complete uninstall of Silverlight and then installed Silverlight again.
    I see that AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps and AllowElevatedTrustAppsInBrowser do NOT immediately appear in the registry, but that they appear with a value of 0 after some minutes. 

I've done a Clean reboot where I only load the system files, but still AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps setting changes.

I have in the registry deleted AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps and AllowElevatedTrustAppsInBrowser, but after a few minutes these objects pops up with the value 0 in the registry again.
    Is there a way to programmatically force the value of 1 to AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps ?

Tommy

Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:09 AM
  • I'm seeing exactly the same behavior - anyone know a clean way to make sure that PowerView keeps on working without having to go into the registry everytime again?

Rgds,

Joris [http://jopx.blogspot.com]

Monday, April 21, 2014 1:09 PM
  • In connection with the Powerview and Silverlight problem, someone suggested that I should download and run a tracking program called Process Monitor on my PC.

I did and discovered then that it was the service Ccmexec.exe, which changed the setting of Silverlight \ AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps, so that the value changed from 1 to 0.

When I searched the internet, I found that Ccmexec is an SMS (Systems Management Serv
    er) agent host service. This service pushes out patches and keeps software updated via an SMS agent that often are installed on business computers.

Now that the cause of the problem is unveiled, I will ask our IT department if they can find a fix.

Thank you for the advice in this forum ;-)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:49 PM