Unhandled Exception follwing Powerpivot Upgrade RRS feed

Answers

• I realize this thread is a little old but one of the only search results when thoroughly searching for the error message.

First - 2 different development tools are listed above.

- SQL Development Tools for Visual Studio 2010

AND

- PowerPivot for Excel

Solution that just worked for me for Excel 2010 64 bit:

1. Change from "Data View" to "Diagram View"

2. Find the column(s) which is the root of the problem and delete it.

3. go recreate your columns

In MS training I used a similar method to solve some crazy behavior in SQL Development tools 2012.

My thought is by changing the view from "Data View" to "Diagram View" the development tools no longer care about the actual data and starts to work with the metadata for the Tabular Model directly.  So when PowerPivot doesn't attempt to render the problem it won't throw the exception.  And because you can make changes to the metadata you can delete just the offending issue.

Also, note every measure, calculated column etc was still present in the model even after I had to tell Excel to "Attempt to Recover the structure of the PowerPivot data" when data got corrupted trying other things.

Anyway, hope this helps someone out there

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem, and I lost my dax formulas!!!!!!

Please somebody help.  the same message box and disappearing worksheet tab in powerpivto window!!!!

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Be careful to try Excel 2013 if you work with Excel 2010 and PowerPivot.
    PowerPivot and Excel 2010 will most likely stop to work properly. 

I wanted was to test Excel 2013 but it started to take over as my primary Office version not just Excel - it felt as a virus.
    So I decided to uninstalled Excel 2013. This is when all sorts of problem started.

I've tried to uninstall/reinstall Excel 2010 + Powerpivot (with help from IT department) but I'm still stuck with the problem.
    I think it's an early programming error in Excel 2013.

Today PowerPivot throws an error every 2nd time after I press Enter (working with DAX).
    I can press continue and proceeds but my productivity is down to maybe 25% of what it should be. 
    I still wait for a fix from Microsoft to solve the problem.

So unless you are ready for a 100% upgrade, be careful, or wish to be lucky - Excel 2013 is not ready for Dual versions.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:31 PM
  • I just ran into the same issue myself, but I seem to have solved it. As you can see from the trace, the parameter index is out of its range:

at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)

The error probably has to do with index being supplied to the underlying ArrayList having gone over the range of the Int32 type and into negative territory. I'm guessing this is because of a DAX formula producing a too large dataset in an intermediate calculation. Anyway, the solution for me was to reduce the amount of data I'm importing to the table in question. If you're retrieving data using SQL, simply use some type of SELECT TOP 1000 (or even less; I had to go down to SELECT TOP 10 before it worked). If you're importing an entire table of data for, say, an excel file, I'd simply cut out a bunch of data to reduce the imported data.

Alex

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 11:50 AM
  • I have the same problem. Working with .bim from SQL Development Tools Visual Studio 2010  (Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel).

When I change a column name which is used in calculated fields in another table it shows me that  'one or more formulas have errors', but when I try to open table to edit formulas Visual Studio crashes.

I tried to debug and got the same stack trace. 

Are there any updates on this problem?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:19 PM
  • I realize this thread is a little old but one of the only search results when thoroughly searching for the error message.

AND

- PowerPivot for Excel

In MS training I used a similar method to solve some crazy behavior in SQL Development tools 2012.

My thought is by changing the view from "Data View" to "Diagram View" the development tools no longer care about the actual data and starts to work with the metadata for the Tabular Model directly.  So when PowerPivot doesn't attempt to render the problem it won't throw the exception.  And because you can make changes to the metadata you can delete just the offending issue.

Also, note every measure, calculated column etc was still present in the model even after I had to tell Excel to "Attempt to Recover the structure of the PowerPivot data" when data got corrupted trying other things.

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:20 PM

AND

- PowerPivot for Excel

Thanks, it did help!
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:14 AM
  • "2. Find the column(s) which is the root of the problem and delete it."

how did you figure out which column is the problem?

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:21 PM