none
USB Device Does Not Wake From Suspend after causing Remote Wakeup of Surface RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a USB device that supports Remote Wakeup of the host.  It works great without a hub.  I'm running on a Surface Pro 8.1 and when I push the sleep button on the surface and then activate my device to wake the host, the Surface wakes properly.  This is repeatable without the hub.

However, when I introduce the HUB, the device operates fine as long as I don't push the sleep button.  The device also seems to operate fine if I press the sleep button again to wake the Surface.  However, if I activate the device to 'remote wakeup' the host (with the hub), the Surface does wake up, but the device seems to loose communications after that.

Looking at the traffic on the USB Analyzer it appears as if the PC sends a "CLEAR FEATURE: Remote Wakeup" to the device once the device wakes the PC, but that CLEAR FEATURE message is NAKd.  I don't see the same issue without the hub.

Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix or workaround the issue?

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 9:26 PM

Answers

• Seemed to be a hub issue as we tested with 3 other brands of hubs and did not see the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Chuck2003 Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:45 PM

All replies

• have you taken an etw log trace to see what the core stack is doing?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Is that the same as doing the USB3HWVerifierAnalyzer.exe?  When I did that I saw a Control Pipe Error for my device, which is consistent with a NAKed Clear Feature.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 11:20 PM
  • The clear feature should be sent regardless of whether the device is behind a hub or not. However, it is possible that the device response is different because some hardware level timing changes based on whether the device is behind a hub or not. Can you please capture ETW traces for the two cases and send it to me (vivekg(@)microsoft.com). By any chance, do you happen to know if the same issue happened on Win8 as well.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/08/07/how-to-trace-usb-3-activity.aspx

Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:52 AM
  • Seemed to be a hub issue as we tested with 3 other brands of hubs and did not see the problem.
    • Marked as answer by Chuck2003 Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:45 PM