Visual Source Safe web project deployment RRS feed

• Question

• User63780355 posted

Hi,

I have pretty big web site on visual source safe. Lets say I've modified ten different files on it. Is there any tool to upload to ftp only those ten last modified files.

Whole project upload takes hours, so I need some quick fix tool. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:06 PM

Answers

• User-1506829456 posted

Hi,

To get the difference between current project and project on the server, you can use SS Diff command line tool.

It will show you a list of different files, and you can use output redirection to get the list to your application and check according to this list.

Please check the following link for more information about the usage of SS Diff

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6388cza6(VS.80).aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:44 PM

All replies

• User-1506829456 posted

Hi,

The VSS itself does not support FTP uploading. You can use Show Difference... option to get a list of changed files. Then you will have to use some 3rd party FTP tool that does accept a list of uploading files to do the uploading.

Here, let's see if any community member can suggest some FTP tools here.

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:52 AM
  • User63780355 posted

Hi,

You are right VSS does not support FTP uploading, but it has API,  which can be used for some kind of plugin. Currently I am looking for this kind of plugin. I saw a few open projects about this matter, but they are not reliable enought.

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:46 AM
  • User-1506829456 posted

Hi,

To get the difference between current project and project on the server, you can use SS Diff command line tool.

It will show you a list of different files, and you can use output redirection to get the list to your application and check according to this list.

Please check the following link for more information about the usage of SS Diff

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6388cza6(VS.80).aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:44 PM
  • User63780355 posted

Hi,

ss diff shows difference between vss project and working folder. I want last modified files since some date. They can be already checked in, so vss and working folder files are the same. I think ss history is kind of tool that I am looking for. However I still need to write some kind of wrapper program that going to copy files to destination based on produced log.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:08 PM