Using Contacts API in Windows 8.1 to get attributes for a contact

Question

• Hi,

I used Contact Picker Sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Contact-Picker-App-sample-fc6677a1) and found that I can retrieve attributes inside my project for a contact which I have picked through contact picker.

I also used another sample (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Contact-manager-API-sample-319bdcef) which is used to display a contact card for a particular contact by passing a phone number or email as an argument. 

So, I found that I can only display a contact card but cannot retrieve attributes inside my project according to sample 2, but I have a scenario where I want retrieve attributes like sample 1 by the methodology used in sample 2 i.e passing a particular contact information to retrieve attributes from people app without a contact picker.

Such scenario is possible?

Thanks..

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:52 AM

Answers

• no.. that scenario would give you app uncontrolled access to the user data. so it isnt possible

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:21 AM

All replies

• no.. that scenario would give you app uncontrolled access to the user data. so it isnt possible

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:21 AM
  • in spite of picking contacts fields information, it is possible to get a permanent link (thru an ID) to a contact and open its contact page from an app ?

As far as I know, till now, I didn't find any way to do it, though I'd like for example from a contact I have in my app to link to it in the WF contacts app and open directly the page with all the messages / emails related to that contact so that the user can open items from there.

I dont need to know what is in the page but just to make the user gain time on accessing all the information linked to that contact, rather than having to go out off my app, search for the contact name, open its page, swipe to see the history of the related messages.

The request is finally simple : not to do again what already exists in standard inside WF ;-)

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:29 PM