WinDbg for analyzing crash dump file

Question

• For my Windows Store app I am trying to analyze a dmp file with WinDbg (x64). For that I am loading sos.dll (x64) in WinDbg. But when using the !pe command, I get the 'SOS does not support the current target architecture'.

When doing the same procedure for x86 versions of WinDbg and sos.dll,  I get the error 'Failed to load data access DLL, 0x80004005' error. Using the suggested '.cordll -ve -u -l' command, it gives me the error 'Unable to load mscordacwks_x86_x86_4.0.30319.34011.dll'.

I am using a developer machine with x64 based processor. Is it possible that the dump file was created on an ARM machine and that is causing the problem? If so, how can I check if a dump file comes from an ARM machine? Do I need to run WinDbg on an ARM device?

Thanks

Ronald

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:12 PM

All replies

• It definitely sounds like you have an x86 dump, but you may want to try getting SOS from an WinRT device. I am not sure if it will load though, I haven't tried this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 28, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Update: according to this website, !analyze -v should automatically load the right version of sos:

http://www.wintellect.com/blogs/jrobbins/automatically-load-the-right-sos-for-the-minidump

I checked with .chain, but it doesn't.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Can you upload the dump to OneDrive and post a link?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:00 PM