none
Having problems getting IncludePicture to work in MailMerge RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is a common question.

I'm using Word 2010 and connecting to a SQL 2012 database for a Mail Merge.  

I have a string field on my defining a file path for an image.  I am certain the path is correct.  I've verified that the string itself is getting through correctly.    I've tried it with both single and double backslashes.  (c:\test\filename.jpg and c:\\test\\filename.jpg).

The merge field itself is defined as  { { INCLUDEPICTURE "{ MERGEFIELD ClientImage }" } }

I've tried everything I can think of and as far as I know I've followed the examples to the letter and still it doesn't work. I've even tried putting in the literal name and path of an image.   Is there some special object I have to put it in?

Suggestions?

• Edited by B. Chernick Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:26 PM correction
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:16 PM

Answers

• Your question doesn't involve programming, it's strictly end-user. You'll find a lot more people who work with Mail Merge doing this kind of thing in the Communities forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

I recommend you ask this there. Unfortunately, we're not able to move discussions from MSDN to the Communities, or I'd move it for you.

FWIW, though, I don't understand what the outside set of brackets are for, in which you've nested the IncludePicture field? Try it without those (take IncludePicture and the Mergefield outside them)?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by B. Chernick Monday, August 5, 2013 5:31 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi B. Chernick,

I will consult my colleagues on this question. And it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Chen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Your question doesn't involve programming, it's strictly end-user. You'll find a lot more people who work with Mail Merge doing this kind of thing in the Communities forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

I recommend you ask this there. Unfortunately, we're not able to move discussions from MSDN to the Communities, or I'd move it for you.

FWIW, though, I don't understand what the outside set of brackets are for, in which you've nested the IncludePicture field? Try it without those (take IncludePicture and the Mergefield outside them)?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by B. Chernick Monday, August 5, 2013 5:31 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:30 PM
  • As far as the extra brackets are concerned, I plead exhaustion.  I've tried out too many scenarios and it's all becoming a blur.  
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Hi,

I think { INCLUDEPICTURE { MERGEFIELD ClientImage } } should work. You need not include the merge field in double quotes. Also, the extra brackets need to be removed.

Regards

Pradip

Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Final version (so far anyway):  { INCLUDEPICTURE { IF TRUE “{MERGEFIELD FileName }” }

(I probably should also mention that there is a \d flag you can put just before the last }.

If the \d is present, the images in the generated doc are just links to external files.  If the \d is absent, the images are actually embedded in the doc.  At least that's the way it's working for me now.)

Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:41 PM