windows metro style???

Question

• I am working with Windows 8 and VS express 2013.

My problem is that when I start:

file -> new project -> templates -> visual c++

I am presented with choices but not Windows Metro Style

I had the same problem with VS express 2012.

I have a tutorial in D3D where the code is metro style but nowhere do I find Windows Metro style

in the templates options or anywhere else for that matter.

What am I missing?

Any answer would be very welcome.

Thank you>

Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:15 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you have an ancient, pre-release tutorial. It is very out of date. One way to tell it is old and out of date is that it uses the terminology"metro". That term was never used in the released product. Try this one from the getting started link in the Windows store app dev center: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=267210
    Monday, April 21, 2014 4:02 AM
    Owner
  • If you're using VS Express make sure you have the correct version, as there are separate versions for different targets.

You need Visual Studio Express (2012 or 2013) for Windows. Then when selecting a template you choose 'Store Apps'. These templates won't exist if you have the wrong version of VS Express (e.g. the version for Phone or for Desktop).

As Rob said, Microsoft doesn't use the term 'metro', so anything referring to that is likely outdated (and thus inaccurate).

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

• Marked as answer by phil_har Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:33 PM
    Monday, April 21, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for all the info.

Phil

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:33 PM

All replies

• I am working with Windows 8 and VS express 2013.

My problem is that when I start:

file -> new project -> C++ -> templates

I am presented with choices but not Windows Metro Style

I had the same problem with VS express 2012.

I have a tutorial in D3D where the code is metro style but nowhere do I find Windows Metro style

in the templates options or anywhere else for that matter.

What am I missing?

Any answer would be very welcome.

Thank you>

Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:14 PM
  • There is no such thing as "metro style" so you won't find templates of that name.

If you use Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows (or non-Express versions of Visual Studio 2013) and you are on Windows 8.1 then you should have templates for Windows Store apps. These require Windows 8.1 and won't show up on earlier OSes such as Windows 8.

If you're on Windows 8 you should get Windows Store app templates in Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows. Other Express versions target other types of apps.

--Rob

Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:55 PM
    Owner
  • I wanted to paste here a view of the window that is displayed when you create a new project

but was unable to. So at least here is a copy of the text:

Before we start, we have to create a project. To build a DirectX
    "non-desktop" application, a special type of project is used, called a "Direct3D
    App".

Open Visual Studio 2012, select File > New Project, and select "Direct3D
    App" under Visual C++, Windows Metro Style.

I was using the required (by the tutorial): Windows 8 and VS 2012. No "Windows Metro Style in installed templates option.

I uninstalled XS 2012 and installed VS Express 2013 (my OS is Windows 8.1).

This is a tutorial I have referred to for many years (unfortunately I did not get far in DirectX due to sickness.

so it's almost like starting all over again!!)

From your answer above it seems like I have to throw the tutorial in the trashcan.

But a few days ago, doing a search on the web I happened on a site that was a sort of "Guide to Windows

Metro Style" very similar to what my tutorial says as to opening a new project!!!!

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:11 AM
  • It sounds like you have an ancient, pre-release tutorial. It is very out of date. One way to tell it is old and out of date is that it uses the terminology"metro". That term was never used in the released product. Try this one from the getting started link in the Windows store app dev center: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=267210
    Monday, April 21, 2014 4:02 AM
    Owner
  • If you're using VS Express make sure you have the correct version, as there are separate versions for different targets.

You need Visual Studio Express (2012 or 2013) for Windows. Then when selecting a template you choose 'Store Apps'. These templates won't exist if you have the wrong version of VS Express (e.g. the version for Phone or for Desktop).

As Rob said, Microsoft doesn't use the term 'metro', so anything referring to that is likely outdated (and thus inaccurate).

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for all the info.

Phil

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:33 PM