Open With in Photo Viewer app gives hundreds of NoUIEntrypoints-DesignMode

Question

• I am developing a store app and have a button on my app (Open With) in the same way as the Windows 8.1 Photo app. This works fine, however, I now get hundreds of entries saying NoUKEntryPoints-DesignMode in the list which makes it take a long time to open.

This also happens in the Windows Photo App too.

Can anyone throw any light on this, I assume its something I have done in my app

Mal

Monday, April 7, 2014 11:19 AM

All replies

• Mal - can you please describe this problem more? I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 7, 2014 7:26 PM
  • If I open an image in the Windows 8 Photo app there is a button on the bottom app bar called Open With, if I press that I get a list of apps that the image can be opened with. However, in my list I get a lot of entries with the text NOUIEntryPoint-DesingMode. It also happens on the Open With menu when you right click on a file in Explorer. It takes around a minute to display the menu because of all these entries

I guess this is something to do with my own implementation of this in my own app I am developing, I use the code below

StorageFile file = await vm.NegativeFolder.GetFileAsync(vm.CurrentPicture.OriginalFile);
                if (file != null)
                {
                    var options = new Windows.System.LauncherOptions();
                    options.DisplayApplicationPicker = true;
                    await Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchFileAsync(file, options);
                }

Mal

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:37 AM
  • It seems like there are a ton of entries in the registry that point to your application. Perhaps you can track them down there and delete them?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:31 PM
  • I had over 1000 entries like the one below, any idea how these would have got there?

Is there an easy way to get rid of them other than deleting them one at a time?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\App.affb54766.a057c.a4006.ab501.a844215cd7045_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\App.affb54766.a057c.a4006.ab501.a844215cd7045_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ActivatableClassId]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\App.affb54766.a057c.a4006.ab501.a844215cd7045_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ActivatableClassId\Designer.App.AppXw8h7jeq3kvshzrvace7ymrmnqrwmcgbg.mca]
    "Vendor"="App.affb54766.a057c.a4006.ab501.a844215cd7045"
    "Icon"="C:\\Users\\Mal\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\12.0\\Designer\\ShadowCache\\nrs5scah.3rl\\meexekxy.vfm\\Images\\XDesProc.Logo.png"
    "DisplayName"="NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode"
    "Description"="XAML Designer"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\App.affb54766.a057c.a4006.ab501.a844215cd7045_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ActivatableClassId\Designer.App.AppXw8h7jeq3kvshzrvace7ymrmnqrwmcgbg.mca\CustomProperties]
    "SupportedFileTypes"=".jpg,.png,.arw,.pef,.erf,.nef,.orf,.cr2,.jpeg"

Mal

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:15 AM
  • I wish I could tell you.  I'm thinking it might be easier to export the parent key as a .reg file, edit it in notepad, then import the reg file.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:07 PM
  • I am considering reinstalling Windows and starting again. I just wish I knew why these entries are there, there is also corresponding folders in the AppDat\Local\Packages folder with what look like Guids for the name with App. preceding them i.e. App.af2e3012a.aec60.a499c.aa671.ad4e1e8d37721_8wekyb3d8bbwe

There are about 1500 of them

Mal

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:12 PM
  • It seems like somehow your app has registered itself for activation a lot of times. We've not seen this behavior before.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:25 PM
  • It seems like somehow your app has registered itself for activation a lot of times. We've not seen this behavior before.

Not sure who marked this as answered but it hasn't been. I have over 500 and counting -DesignMode entries in the registry which make Windows 8.1 very slow in some aspects. For instance if I am in the Photo app, select an image and select Open With it takes about  a minute for the menu to come up which displays all these NOUIEntryPoint entries.

I have re-installed Windows and VS2013 Express three times, twice on one machine and once on the other. I have deleted the solution and created it again, none of these have any effect.

How can I stop the app from registering itself more than once?

Mal

Monday, May 5, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever resolve this? I am currently looking at a ton of these entries as well. It seems to also make the file explorer slow, every time you click on a file of the specific type that has all of these entries.

Cheers,

Tomas

Friday, May 9, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Hi,

Did you ever resolve this? I am currently looking at a ton of these entries as well. It seems to also make the file explorer slow, every time you click on a file of the specific type that has all of these entries.

Cheers,

Tomas

No I haven't, currently I am going into the folder and registry and deleting these manually, if I don't do that then I end up with thousands of entries. I have tried all sorts of things to track it down but still no good

Mal

Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:43 AM
  • I think Matt is right that its something to do with activation of file types. My app has the File type associations declaration so that I can use Auto play when someone puts a card in with images on it.

I am pretty sure its something to do with that. Once I have cleaned my registry I am going to disable this and see what happens

Mal

Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Just as a taster here is an entry out of my registry. My app registers a number of raw image formats this entry has a couple of hundred of the App package keys not just the ones you can see

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pef\OpenWithProgids]
    "AppX0036859d447kk5c461famgswcrjee1tq"=hex(0):
    "AppX00as7dfkvgxpn6t9cnk6qjtrqfwj666y"=hex(0):
    "AppX00dr1kmdkz9yqndyvy7tj74qrkt0cw6q"=hex(0):
    "AppX00e95d1hcb8avgahad889vbw2tx8484e"=hex(0):
    "AppX02jx1wx3y59tq3tcf1ts3abs3rpp83e5"=hex(0):
    "AppX02s8tpxrhry130n4ktyc300z61g4kap7"=hex(0):
    "AppX036w3d08swgrz6cms9tkg8399xecyhbe"=hex(0):

Mal

Saturday, May 10, 2014 9:16 AM

Matt are you still investigating this issue or should I put an entry onto connect? Its a real problem.

Mal

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Matt

Its been a while since posting this issue and a number of Windows and VS re-installs later its still happening. If I right click and image in File Explorer and select Open With it takes a good few seconds to open the resulting list which contains hundreds of these "NoUKEntryPoints-DesignMode"  entries

Mal

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:43 PM
  • If you still need help tracking this down please open a support case at http://aka.ms/storesupport so somebody can help you directly.
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:49 AM
    Owner