Publishing Database on sql Server 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• User387601083 posted
    I want to publish my website . My provider support SQL server 2000. Runnig the script  en creating database on server seems to be OK. I have fron the provider : The IP adres from the SQLServer , a username and password and a name for the database, but  i don't know how to write the connectionstring.
    This is the connectionstring now : What do i have to change. Please help.

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|Club.mdf;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Thanks

Monday, March 6, 2006 9:48 AM

All replies

• User-1346905220 posted

You need to change the connectionString value to:

"Data Source= [your provider's server name] ;Integrated Security=False;User ID= [your user id] ;Password= [your password] ;Initial Catalog= [your database name] "

The values in dark green should be known to you or your provider. Hope this helps.

-Mike

Monday, March 6, 2006 6:50 PM
  • User387601083 posted
    Thanks for helping me,
    what must i do whit the ASPNETDB ?

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 7:24 AM
  • User387601083 posted
    Hallo,

Here is my URL  www.dorpentoren.be
    maby this helps

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 7:38 AM
  • User-1346905220 posted

Here's what worked for me on SQL 2005 but should be the same for SQL 2000. Add this to the connection strings section in the web.config

<remove name="LocalSqlServer" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source= [your provider's server name] ;Integrated Security=False;User ID= [your user id] ;Password= [your password] ;Initial Catalog= ASPNETDB "

(Note: I'm guessing that you'll need to use ASPNETDB here as my plan allows only one SQL db I moved the tables into the "ClubSiteDB")

This information culled from http://community.discountasp.net/default.aspx?f=25&m=8785. These instructions really helped me. Actually not my provider tho.

-Mike

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 6:57 PM
  • User-302016627 posted

(Note: I'm guessing that you'll need to use ASPNETDB here as my plan allows only one SQL db I moved the tables into the "ClubSiteDB")

Wow Mike ! That's news 4 me!! [:O]

I had no idea the ASPNETDB can be 'moved around' and 'merged in to' any location. I had foolishly assumed, it must be like an application level registry kind of DB, and the app would expect to find it under the App_data folder with the given name.

I wanted to do such a thing (like merging the 2 DBs) real bad, but didn't wanna risk breaking the code.

I think I'm gonna start on it right away. Any precautions/word of advice/dos&donts would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 11:47 AM
  • User387601083 posted
    Hallo again,

I have merged the two databases in one but now, when i want to log in or register.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Line 4: Line 5: Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As [Object], ByVal e As EventArgs)
    Line 6: If (Roles.RoleExists("Administrators") = False) Then
    Line 7: Roles.CreateRole("Administrators")
    Line 8: End If

thanks for helping me
    www.dorpentoren.be

Thursday, March 9, 2006 4:14 AM
  • User-302016627 posted

Hallo again,

I have merged the two databases in one but now,

Hi SW,

How did U merge the 2 databases? Is there a better (more direct) way of merging DB1 in to DB2 other than...

1. Script out DB1
    2. Execute script on DB2.
    3. Open each table in DB1,
    4. Manually select all data-rows in the grid
    5. Copy-Paste to corresponding table in DB2.

I'm sure there must be an easier way, but is it available to users of SQL Server2005 Express Management Console CTP ?

Anybody who has successfully merged Databases before...Pls. enlighten us?

Thanks

Thursday, March 9, 2006 9:21 AM