none
Running installation setup.exe or .msi from Azure Files share fails

Question

• I have created an Azure File share, and hoped to use it as a software repository for installing software to Windows desktops.

I can obviously access the contents of the share (I have added the credentials to Credentials Manager), and copy to and from the share.

But I am unable to launch Setup.exe files from the share, the error being "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

Logging the install returns "MainEngineThread is returning 2" as the last line of the log before the error is received.

The share is of the form "xxxxfilestorage01.file.core.windows.net\software" and so I have added "file://xxxxfilestorage01.file.core.windows.net" to the Local Internet zone, in case this is a security issue.

Am I missing something? Is this problem simply that the SMB 3.0 protocol does not support running executables from the share?

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I created Azure file share, and added the share to the windows desktop using the following command. 

net use [drive letter] \\andyrsgea01disks686.file.core.windows.net\share /u:andyrsgea01disks686 [storage account access key]

I can run and install .exe and .msi files successfully, it should support running executables from the share.

For you issue, I would recommend you check the followings.

• Corrupted or damaged file when it was downloaded.
    • No Administrator rights in the computer account.
    • Anti-Virus blocking the installation.
    • Windows Installer problem.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi

SMB 3.0 supports running executables from the share.

Do you run net as the Administrator?

I test in my Lab, I could execute the .msi file successfully.

This installation package could not be opened.
    Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer
    Package."

This error may come from different reasons:

1. Corrupted or damaged file when it was download.

You could store it in the local computer and execute it. If you meet same error, I recommend you to download the file again.

2. No Administrator rights in the computer account.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

Make sure your anti-virus/firewall is not blocking.

You may try the suggestion from the below mentioned link:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-troubleshoot-file-connection-problems

In mean while let try to research more information on this issue.

Below is a list of SMB version supported for Windows client. Please refer to this blog for more details.

Let me know the status of this issue.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hello,

I created Azure file share, and added the share to the windows desktop using the following command. 

net use [drive letter] \\andyrsgea01disks686.file.core.windows.net\share /u:andyrsgea01disks686 [storage account access key]

I can run and install .exe and .msi files successfully, it should support running executables from the share.

For you issue, I would recommend you check the followings.

• Corrupted or damaged file when it was downloaded.
    • No Administrator rights in the computer account.
    • Anti-Virus blocking the installation.
    • Windows Installer problem.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi

SMB 3.0 supports running executables from the share.

Do you run net as the Administrator?

I test in my Lab, I could execute the .msi file successfully.

This installation package could not be opened.
    Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer
    Package."

This error may come from different reasons:

1. Corrupted or damaged file when it was download.

You could store it in the local computer and execute it. If you meet same error, I recommend you to download the file again.

2. No Administrator rights in the computer account.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Regards,

Walter

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Thanks Andy, Sumanth & Walter and  for your replies.

It was an Administrative rights issue. I was running the install as Adminstrator, but had not realised the admin account did not have access to the Share. Foolish really.

Thanks

David

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:40 PM