none
About time to go for a real MS OO-database? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it not about time that MS created a real OO database instead of entity frameowork?

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• Is it not about time that MS created a real OO database instead of entity frameowork?

What does an ORM have to do with an OO DB? The ORM, which EF is about, is Object Relational Mapping from an OO language usage standpoint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping

The only OO DB I know about is Oracle. And EF works with Oracle.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28371/adobjint.htm

Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Well a ORM would like to mock a OODBMS, or one could say that it EF is a bandage for SQL Server, as it does not fit modern developement.

Oracle is a major RDBMS, not a OODBMS.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:09 PM
  • >>Oracle is a major RDBMS, not a OODBMS.

Neither is Entity Framework. It is an object-relational mapper (ORM). It's like comparing apples and pears. So even if Microsoft were to launch an object-oriented database management system, it wouldn't be a replacement for Entity Framework.

So I guess your question (?) is a bit off-topic. If you have any feedback or suggestions about Microsoft's products, please refer to the following page on TechNet: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc512759.aspx

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Well a ORM would like to mock a OODBMS, or one could say that it EF is a bandage for SQL Server, as it does not fit modern developement.

Oracle is a major RDBMS, not a OODBMS.

What are you talking about as EF the ORM is not solely working against  MS SQL Server? Is nHibernate or any of the other ORM(s) even doing what you are talking about? Why I as a developer would even care about this?

EF and the other ORM(s) work just fine and do not need to be something else other than what they are doing.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:08 PM
  • >Is it not about time that MS created a real OO database instead of entity frameowork?

I'm curious.  What do you think the difference in the developer's experience between using a really good ORM, vs a "real OO database"? 

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Friday, April 8, 2016 12:10 AM
  • >>Oracle is a major RDBMS, not a OODBMS.

Neither is Entity Framework. It is an object-relational mapper (ORM). It's like comparing apples and pears. So even if Microsoft were to launch an object-oriented database management system, it wouldn't be a replacement for Entity Framework.

So I guess your question (?) is a bit off-topic. If you have any feedback or suggestions about Microsoft's products, please refer to the following page on TechNet

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread.

Yes you are right, but this time the apple (EF) tries to be the pear solution (OO). I mean come on guys, if RDBMS would be the best out there, there would not be a need of EF.

However my point is that I would like to develop applications, whitout have to be forced to consider legacy SQL, as I have to with EF beyond basic crud.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 8:53 AM
  • What are you talking about as EF the ORM is not solely working against  MS SQL Server? Is nHibernate or any of the other ORM(s) even doing what you are talking about? Why I as a developer would even care about this?

EF and the other ORM(s) work just fine and do not need to be something else other than what they are doing.

Well, I dont recall ever saying that EF is not compatible with Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB etc.

Yes they work fine for basic crud, but then you would have to consider legacy SQL and it also gives you an extra leyer (overhead).
    Friday, April 8, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Well, basically impendance missmatch.

I would like to develop my applications totally OO, whitout have to consider legacy SQl, which is not possible with EF beyond basic crud.

Friday, April 8, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Well, basically impendance missmatch.

I would like to develop my applications totally OO, whitout have to consider legacy SQl, which is not possible with EF beyond basic crud.

It is what it is. Should you lose any sleep over it? The world will continue to turn.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 10:57 AM