Are all WP7 phones created equal? RRS feed

• Question

• My Silverlight phone application make use of XNA soundeffects that are loaded in realtime from a set of about 60 wave files. The files are loaded based on UI interaction and at any given time up to 6 wave files can be loaded into memory. Before publishing my application I tested it on a Samsung Focus and an LG Quantum. On both phones the UI performance was fine.

The problem is that I've received a few reviews of the application stating that the UI performance unacceptably laggy. I suspect that this is due to slower I/O performance of the phone when loading the wave file content in realtime. Is it the case some some phone could have a slower I/O subsystem, which would result in this kind of behavior? Are all WP7 phone created equal?
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:12 PM

Answers

• It really makes it very difficult to design an application that uses lots of local storage to perform well.
    Some one recently asked me whether he should go for getting several units of the Samsung Focus or HD7 for his team for development. Because of the more consistent implementation and higher performance of the Focus I had to recommend the HD7 (sounds backwards, I know!). As long as an application performed well on it we could with higher confidence expect it to perform sufficiently (if not better) on other hardware. 

That being said, if you can get an HTC device just try to make things work well on it and you will be in a good position. 
    Monday, April 11, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• Nope, afraid not. I've not done much with the LG units. But the Samsungs I've used have had considerably higher performance than the HTC. There are several messages[^] in this forum from "Steve 'Sly' Williams" in which he gives an explanation for how different memory types can result in different performance. 

HTC devices use micro SD cards for their internal storage, whereas most other manufacturers use NAND flash for internal storage.  Tests have shown that micro SD has slower transfer rates than NAND flash, so HTC devices do tend to take longer to load apps than other devices.  This especially shows up with games that tend to load many assets on launch.  The imminent "NoDo" flash update will improve these load times considerably, so it will become less of an issue.

The HTC units also have a driver bug that will cause SoundEffectInstance.Volume to be ignore on much of their hardware. 

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I don't believe they are. Do you know the model of phones that the complaining users have? I have an HTC HD7, which I hear is one of the slower (slowest?) phones.

Also I noticed a significant improvement in load times on my game once I got the NODO update... perhaps the laggy experience is from those users without this update?
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Do you know the model of phones that the complaining users have?

No, unfortunately. It's disappointing that Microsoft did not have specific and adequate memory and storage performance requirements for WP7. It really makes it very difficult to design an application that performs well when it uses lots of local storage. I could load all of my sound effects at application startup time, but even on my Focus that would take around 30 seconds.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 4:39 PM
  • It really makes it very difficult to design an application that uses lots of local storage to perform well.
    Some one recently asked me whether he should go for getting several units of the Samsung Focus or HD7 for his team for development. Because of the more consistent implementation and higher performance of the Focus I had to recommend the HD7 (sounds backwards, I know!). As long as an application performed well on it we could with higher confidence expect it to perform sufficiently (if not better) on other hardware. 

That being said, if you can get an HTC device just try to make things work well on it and you will be in a good position. 
    Monday, April 11, 2011 5:40 PM